Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Son with psychosis and OCD may need admission to change medication

hello @NatureLover 

Our son was admitted 2 days ago.  All going well so far.  He looked relaxed, he's responding to text/phone calls, and says it's going well.  He's looking forward to his girlfriend visiting tomorrow, then we will visit on Sunday.  

I've had to deal with some other issues arising as a result of his hospitalisation, his employer has put my son's apprenticeship on hold, which is probably a good idea, just wish he'd been a bit more upfront about it when I tried to discuss it 3 weeks ago.  And another situation too complex to explain, but that's getting sorted.  

It's been an emotional rollercoaster ride, but am mostly feeling relieved that our son is at least being supported, receiving treatment, and in a place where he can be observed to learn more about what he is experiencing, as well as being able to participate in personal development workshops and receive and give support for peers.

🙂 

@Tinker67 wrote:

Our son was admitted 2 days ago.  All going well so far.  He looked relaxed, he's responding to text/phone calls, and says it's going well.  He's looking forward to his girlfriend visiting tomorrow, then we will visit on Sunday.  

This sounds great @Tinker67  🙂 How long is the admission for?

I'm sorry you've had some stress to do with it...good luck sorting it all out. I hope your son's apprenticeship will be waiting for him after the admission. 

Hello again @NatureLover 

Sorry for the delay there.  The admission was supposed to be 2-3 weeks.  Short story is our son has improved with some tweaking of his current medication, and he's very homesick since all of NSW has gone into hard lockdown and we haven't been able to visit.  His girlfriend and her mother are now in ISO following being a close contact of Covid, so that's stressing him too.  Good news is today he managed to discuss his thoughts with the psychiatrist who has agreed he can return home on Friday, so that will be a 10 day hospitalisation, and I think for him probably enough under the circumstances.  I can't wait to have him home.  He has been more communicative and affectionate while away, and perhaps has realised we aren't all that terrible as a family.  

@Tinker67 wrote:

Good news is today he managed to discuss his thoughts with the psychiatrist who has agreed he can return home on Friday, so that will be a 10 day hospitalisation, and I think for him probably enough under the circumstances. 

That's good, @Tinker67 🙂

Well done to both you and your son for doing the hospitalisation.

So he comes home today? 🙂 I'm glad he seems to be appreciating you more.

Good luck, I hope things are smooth from now on...

Thank you @NatureLover yes my son came home today.  

I'm not sure that the appreciation will last long, but for now it is enjoyable.  

We will see what the next few weeks bring, but it seems he is questioning if he will continue with his apprenticeship.  Time will tell. 

That's good that he's home, @Tinker67 . I hope that things go well for him (and you) now that his medication has been tweaked. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance