Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Arizona
Senior Contributor

The recovery model

Does anyone know where I can find out more about the recovery model? I have looked online but all the information I could find seems pretty vague and I don't trust Wikipedia as a reliable source.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: The recovery model

I found this quote on the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) website, which I like:

Recovery does not refer to an end product or result. It does not mean that one is ‘cured’. In fact, recovery is marked by an ever-deepening acceptance of our limitations. But now, rather than being an occasion for despair, we find that our personal limitations are the ground from which spring our own unique possibilities. This is the paradox of recovery, i.e., that in accepting what we cannot do or be, we begin to discover who we can be and what we can do. Thus, recovery is a process (Deegan, 1996).

https://www.ranzcp.org/news-policy/policy-and-advocacy/position-statements/recovery-and-the-psychiat...

But I will keep looking.

I am using my time in lockdown and isolation to work on my recovery, one step at a time, day

by day.  

Yeah, the wikipedia article about the recovery model looks like it hasn't been really looked after in a while.

There's a bunch of articles about recovery on The National Elf Service website, you might like to start there. It's a blog for clinicians to keep up to date with current literature in a variety of fields. 

You might also like to look through the Steller Hub website.  It's about a bunch of lived experience research articles that they're turning into resources for peer workers to use with people in hospitals and outpatients. In particular, there's an interesting podcast on concepts of recovery.  

@Arizona Hearing you about vague .... One thing I liked about the recovery model is that it enables a broader concepttion of mental health, beyond, normal and MI diagnosis and cure.  It speaks to the normality of difficult times and the reality of life as process, rather than the B&W thinking that can emerge with DSM models.

Smiley Happy

@Gwynn Thanks for links

Smiley Happy

That's great @Owen45 . I like your idea of doing things one step at a time.

I wanted to do the same but my depression is too much at the moment. I'm learning to accept my limitations. It is hard but I feel better after reading about the recovery model.

Thanks for the links @Gwynn . For the moment I want to concentrate on information about the recovery model from Australia, partly so I know what to expect from doctors, therapists, mental health professionals and services etc.

I think the National Elf Service is very cute though Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom I understand what you are saying about how the recovery model speaks to normality in difficult times. That is a very good way of putting it. I like that too.

Hi @Arizona, the Steller Hub webpage I linked above is Australian. 🙂 You might like to check out the national framework for recovery-oriented services from 2013.

Sorry @Gwynn , I didn't realise. Thanks for letting me know Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance