Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Anyone tried out 'Brain training' app that may improve memory and daily functioning?

I'm really interested in this app developed at Cambridge Uni neuroscience-land.

It's described as it may help some people to specifically improve their episodic memory and some cognitive functioning. It's not about improving mood or emotions, or symptoms like hallucinations or dissociation and so on, you stick with whatever you have that is helpful for those things; this app is like another peice of your puzzle to add, specifically for episodic memory and some cognitive functioning. I need all the help I can get, so I'm very interested.

pros for me

- I gather my pre-frontal cortex is small and mushed from developmental trauma & needs any help it can get, regardless of having a formal diagnosis of schiz or not, new neural pathways in the prefrontal cortex could only be an improvement. even a small improvement could be momumental for me.

- it's self-administered which gives it dignity

- it isn't medication so doesn't invite anxiety in me about side effects

- even if it doesn't work, I can't see any negative side-effects

- if it is helpful, perhaps I'd be able to concentrate better, feel less scattered and beholden to annoying chaotic & disordered brain function

cons for me

- I don't really know what an app is. or how to use one

- I don't know what an ipad is or how to use one. with my pc, IT crises can be very stressful and frustrating & cause a symptom spike

- $. I've heard ipads cost $600 and only tide you over until the next costly update or version, you aren't really buying a peice of equipement so much as having to get expensively married to apple for ever-more

Well, it sounds interesting. it's a long article, I didn't read it all as I can't concentrate that long. it does mention that the Wizard game is, or will become, affordable - do they mean an app and ipad is affordable?

here's the link from Campbridge Uni http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/brain-training-app-may-improve-memory-and-daily-functioning-in-sc...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Anyone tried out 'Brain training' app that may improve memory and daily functioning?

Hi @Former-Member

The article looks interesting and approaches that help people dealing with Scizophrenia and symptoms could be helpful.

I am wary of IT gadgets that need regular upgrades and I have spikes too with IT crises.

To be honest I suspect it is overpriced for the value ... that if you can find memory and cognitive games that you like and can use on your computer that that would have the same benefit for you than one that is specifically marketed for schizophrenia.

It is good that people are thinking outside the box re MI but there is a bit of an industry ... I have just been researching Proloquo for autism ... etc

Practise of any skill that involves both hands eg at a keyboard is likely to enhance prefrontal neuronal development.

Thats my opinion anyway.

cheers

Re: Anyone tried out 'Brain training' app that may improve memory and daily functioning?

My understanding is that a lot of the time, apps don't stack up well against things like exercise, good diet, sleep and meditation. Or even a crossword puzzle, or brushing your teeth with your non-dominant hand. (I'm not even kidding about 'wrong-handedly' brushing your teeth...) However - if an app incentivises you to 'get out there and do it', or helps you measure and track progress then it might be worth it. Additionally, because the app is by Cambridge, it might be of better quality than the normal app...

Perhaps your local library might have an iPad that you could play with to get the hang of one? Or the library might offer basic computer skills training you might be able to take advantage of.

An app is a computer program ("application") which lives on your smartphone or tablet computer (iPad). An iPad is a brand of portable computer which has a touchscreen to operate it instead of a mouse and keyboard. You can use an older model of iPad fairly happily - as long as the apps you want to use will run on the older model.

From the context of the article, I think they mean that the Wizard game app will be affordable, not that iPads will become more affordable.

However, learning new things is always a good way to boost brain health. 🙂

Have you seen Todd Sampson's Redesign my Brain series on the ABC? Some of those exercises might be worth looking into.

I Use Lumosity - 3 free games per day quick 5 minute ones . every now and then they offer free 3 month trails . good for memeory/ cognitive thinking / speed thinking / working memory/ and multi tasking.

Hi @Former-Member

I have used some of these sorts of brainntraining programs before, but usually it's on my smartphone. So I had a look online for you to see what is available to use on a pc.

Here are three that I found and have heard about before. But I haven't tried them personally.

http://memorado.com/

http://www.neuronation.com/

http://www.lumosity.com/ ( @Tight-Control I think this is the one you mentioned?)

I think how it works with these sites is that you just create an account and then use the games from their website. Often they have different levels of access: either free or paying some money to access more games or play more often. But there are definitely plenty of free brainntraining websites out there so if you are having trouble finding a good free one, let the community know and we can all have fun having a hunt together.

Oh, and I'd love to hear back about any you try and what you think of them.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance