Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday tonight at 7pm AEST / Psychosis

The thing that drivres me crazy is if people try and restrain me during psychosis thinking that will calm me down.

The other thing is that being assertive and aggressive has the opposite effect to helping. Non threatening behaviour and a gentle supportive approach is the key for me.

I am a very non violent person, even during an episode, so a gentle approach is best for me. Grounding me means using words and things that I remember irrespective of a loss of reality. Photos of kittens-puppies have a positive effect.

Some really interesting insights so far.

May I ask what are your thoughts about how your family/friends can best support you during the initial phases of psychosis? Is there anything they can do to minimse the severity?

@soul from a carer's point of you, what are some strategies that you have in place when you first notice that your partner is not behaving quite right?

For those out there who are experiencing a psychotic episode, is it better to have people around you or do you want to be left alone?

Great question @soul.

If I'd known how to handle it, he might not have been in the situation he is in right now 😞

Re: Topic Tuesday - now open: Psychosis

I find being alone easier only because if I'm around people even friends or family I have to try and hide what's going on so I'm quiet and distracted which only makes them ask more questions. But also the more time I spend alone the more stuck I get and eventually end up needing hospital where they force meds on on me

My erratic behaviour is very obvious to those around me. I can become obsessed with something but for a short time only and then i move onto something else and so on.

My speech is always oviously effectede and someti8mes my movement can be erratic as well-soyes it is very obvious

Awww @soul it's not your fault. You a partner, not a mental health professional so it's ok to not know these things. You're on here, learning new strategies, which is great!

Re: Topic Tuesday - now open: Psychosis

Do most people who get voices hear them inside their head or outside?

Yes my husband has experienced several symptoms - losing time, excessive drinking, gambling and not remembering, metallic taste very often.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance