Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Totally agree @Rainforest and @Daphne 🙂

I like the idea of craft too @Lauz. My daughter and I crocheted some nests. She was struggling with that sense of helplessness to an extent too. It felt really good to do something, even if it was just a tiny something.

Thanks heaps for this discussion tonight. It's been really helpful 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

That's great @Shaz51  to remember the practical things too!  Thanks for sharing 🙂 

Wonderful insight and strategy @greenspace - being able to connect and action that visualisation is so powerful - well done!

So glad that it has been helpful @CheerBear  and thank you for your insights.

Hello everyone,

sorry im late

@Lauz wrote:

As a lot of you have mentioned now, connection is so essential for our mental health. We connect for our own needs but also to help others. Whether its talking through the things we are discussing tonight or just being around someone else or being in a social circumstance that brings you some joy. We thought we could goal set together tonight: How can you connect in the next week to help yourself and your community? Remember whatever you do, you need to feel safe, so you can think of anything that is within your comfort here. 

My goal for the next week -- I wanted to go to an event in a nearby town on the weekend, but there's a heatwave forecast, so I'll be there in spirit, and online -- it's a party in a park and people are invited to dress up as endangered animals, so I'll wear my costume at home and post selfies on the event page on Facebook 

Whoops looks like we had a technical glitch for a bit there! Apologies everyone for the pause!

This has been such a wonderful discussion tonight, thank you everyone for coming along and sharing so openly and working through some really helpful coping strategies. Its so powerful to see the benefit in sharing our knowledge here toegther! A HUGE thanks to our amazing special guests @Daphne and @Rainforest for all your golden insight, discussion and support tonight. We are so grateful for your time. 

For anyone wanting to continue to chat about this and connect, you can join in the Bushfires thread. I'll post a list of resources shortly as well for everyone!

Sorry for that unexpected technical error everyone!!

So sorry for all the posts from myself and @s-jay while we were trying to get our posts through and work on the error. We really appreciate your patience and understanding! I will remove all the duplicates on the next page. 

Here are some resources and also a list of other short and long term helpful strategies to help maintain your wellbeing during traumatic times:

Short term:

• Switch off when you need to
  • Try and keep your routine
  • Look after your physical needs
  • Avoid alcohol/drugs
  • Don’t over-function, offer help that doesn’t compromise you
  • Listen to your mind and body
  • Talk to those you feel safe with
  • Reach out for professional support

Long Term:

• Building networks and reconnecting
  • Self-care: Sleep hygiene, exercise
  • Long term therapy
  • Reconnecting with nature and environment
  • Working towards new beginnings and meaning in life

Resources:

The Australian Government has recently announced a mental health support package for people affected by the bushfires. If you have been affected by recent bushfire events and would like to access these supports you can call the Australian Government bushfire disaster assistance line on 180 22 66 or visit: https://www.lifeinmindaustralia.com.au/mental-health-support-for-bushfire-affected-communities.

The Government have also announced that anyone who has been impacted by bushfires will be eligible to receive Medicare rebates for up to 10 psychological therapy sessions provided by GPs, psychologists, and other eligible mental health professionals.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/immediate-mental-health-services-depl...

As always the SANE Help Centre is open from Monday - Friday, 10am - 10pm AEST. Our team of counsellors are available by phone, web chat and email, so you can comfortably communicate in the way that feels best for you.

There's state by state resource listed via this link

For wellbeing support services for family members of CFA people click through to this website for more information

There are also some useful articles that SANE has put together:

https://www.sane.org/information-stories/the-sane-blog/wellbeing/bushfires-complex-mental-health-iss...

https://www.sane.org/information-stories/the-sane-blog/wellbeing/mental-health-impacts-australia-bus...

If anyone wants to continue chatting together head to Bushfires 

This thread will be closed from tomorrow morning. Thanks again everyone!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance