Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Panic attacks are overwhelming to go through and can affect anyone, not just those that live with mental health issues. It can be very difficult to see someone you care for in a moment of a panic attack. In this Topic Tuesday we will discuss insights that will help you better support a loved one who experiences panic attacks. 

Special Event Note:

For this Topic Tuesday our content team will be reviewing our discussion after the night and will use some of your wonderful insights to help put together a SANE blog post to highlight helpful tips, strategies and thoughts on supporting loved one’s dealing with panic attacks. Quotes will be completely de-identified, your forum username will not be used and therefore your anonymity maintained and respected. If for some reason you do not want any posts quoted, please feel free to e-mail team@saneforums.org

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

77 REPLIES 77

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Hello all and those that wanted a reminder! @JPJ @Determined @Everan @247Triangle @Lovely @Adge @Former-Member @Shaz51

Thanks all for joining in on tonight’s Topic Tuesday about supporting a loved one through panic attacks. This is something that I think a lot of us can relate to as you don’t just have to be a carer to help someone with a panic attack and your loved one doesn’t have to have a specific diagnosis to be affected by these. Perhaps you yourself as a carer have even had them. So let’s explore together to help us, help others the best way we can.

In terms of tonight’s structure, I’ll be posting some information and insights with questions every 10 or so minutes to get a conversation going. Share your thoughts, advice and feelings so we can collaborate on this subject 😊

Just a reminder as well that our content team will be checking out our discussion after the night and will use some of your wonderful insights to help put together a SANE blog post to highlight helpful tips, strategies and thoughts on supporting loved one’s dealing with panic attacks. Quotes will be completely de-identified, your forum username will not be used and therefore your anonymity maintained and respected. If for some reason you do not want any posts quoted, please feel free to e-mail team@saneforums.org

SO lets start off by sharing what it is that comes to mind when we mention panic attacks and our loved ones?

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Hello @Lauz Heart

Hi @Shaz51! Thanks for joining 😊 Do you want to tell us (me so far! but others as they come in!) what comes to mind for you when we say panic attacks and our loved ones? 

It's a bit of a slow start tonight - might just give it 4 more minutes before we head into the first discussion topic to allow some more people to come through 💫

Hello @Lauz @Shaz51

Hanging about in the background. 

@LauzI didn`t know about Panic attacks with my mr shaz

but one day while mowing , mr shaz started whipper snipping and could not move , it seems like he was glued to the spot , at first i did not know what to do !!

and then I said to sit for a little while

but he got worse

Great to have you along @Former-Member!

Let's get into a discussion area and others can come along 😃 

By definition a panic attack is a sudden rush of intense anxiety or fear together with a surge of frightening physical sensations and thoughts. They can be short, sometimes out of the blue and scary. But even with definitions, they will all be and look different for everyone.

Here is a little excerpt from an article on bustle: "All panic attacks do not look alike," Dr. Caitlin Simpson, director of clinical operations at Footprints to Recovery (American organisation). "While symptoms may be similar, they are often experienced differently from person to person. There are multiple symptoms that can be experienced during a panic attack, and therefore some people may experience some symptoms while others do not."

what does it look like.jpg 

In your relationship with a person you care for or about, what has a panic attack looked like? I thought by sharing these visual insights, we can learn some of the physical warning signs that tell us a panic attack may be happening.

That's interesting @Shaz51 and also scary I can imagine!

So you noticed he was still? Couldn't move? What other signs were you noticing that this could perhaps be a panic attack?

Hello @Lauz, @Former-Member

In your relationship with a person you care for or about, what has a panic attack looked like? --- Mr shaz could not move, could not even think or put his whipper snipper down

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance