Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Staying safe while supporting others // April 18, 7pm AEST

@Nevyn134 sorry I have been away so long, I had not twigged to your situation. My 15yo is trans and how determined family are to support and respect a person's transition is, I think, an enormous factor in something which is a hugely challenging journey and takes enormous courage just to embark upon. The very high level of social bullying, discrimination and stigma within our society does not help. I know these things affect me profoundly and it is not me transitioning. 
I don't know where you are or if this will be of to help you, but I am aware that a number of clinics have started to open up that are specifically for people in the LGBT community. We were lucky enough to get my son into one, though he travels 1.5 hours to get there. I hope there will be something near you too. Blessings.
Hope for a healing journey endures...
Kindest regards ,Kristin

@NikNik. Last year I found going up to my mountain and meditating 3 times a week - made a big difference to my mental health. As I was exercising and meditating and enjoying nature - I also found I naturally slept better and ate better. My moods lifted dramatically and it was easy to do everyday tasks and not get irritated over small problems.
Since not going up to my mountains since December - there has been no self care at all.
I think I need to have a backup for when I can't get to my mountain. I need another place that I can gain my energy thru.

I am currently finding that I can only fulfill some of the elements of self-care. Trying to do something in each element is beyond my current personal limitiations. This is ok though - it is a work in progress and there are many factors involved for me that limit what I can actually achieve. This in itself is self-care in that I know my limitations and need to work around them to look after myself the best way I can in my current situation.

What a night! I'm so appreciative of how much everyone shared. I hope you all have found this session helpful.

I know it's been very fast-paced, making some of the questions that took a lot of consideration hard to answer. Tonight or in the coming days, if you are interested in the boundaries and holistic self-care planning, you can revisit this as much as you need.

As a reminder:

Questions to answer to help establish boundaries:

How to establish boundaries

• What we will and won’t engage in (what do I find triggering, frustrating, makes me angry)
  • When do I offer support? How I can be in control of when I offer support? (structured time on the Forums, allocate time to call this person when you’re in a good state of mind)
  • How do I offer support while still respecting my boundaries? What can I offer that won’t compromise my own wellbeing?

Holistic self-care plan.

List two self-care strategies for each bucket:

TT.png

I wil leave this thread open if you want to post your answers here 🙂

Finally, there are ways in which we suggest forum members take care of themselves. We have added a new section here, which has some Forum specific information on self-care during matters of:

• upsetting posts
  • addressing conflict

@kristin Thank you, I shall start looking for some around here. I am in Canberra. Also, I have only been here an hour or two. Don't worry about not knowing my situation 😛

Yes @Zoe7. I agree. 💜🤗

What an important and great conversation to have. Really enjoyed being part of this tonight and definitely some food for thought now. Thanks @NikNik and everyone 🙂

Thanks @NikNik. That was a super helpful discussion. Smiley Happy

Thanks @NikNik you put a lot of work into that.  Appreciated.

my slef care is visiting my mum,having epsom baths soaks @NikNik

and now I have a dietician , and i can feel the difference by changing my diet has made this month alone ,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance