Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Home Away From Home// Tuesday 28th February 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Hi @Shaz51 👋 Great to have you here with us 😊

Re: Topic Tuesday// Home Away From Home// Tuesday 28th February 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

It's hard to be constantly seen from a stereotypical lens- I respect curiosity about my culture and love answering questions.. but it can often be hard to be the sole person representing an entire culture & country- that emotional labour is sometimes draining. 

Welcome @Shaz51 🙂 good to see you here!

Just reading back , interesting @sagilove95 , @TideisTurning , @amber22 

I can relate to that feeling in other ways @sagilove95 and it can definitely be draining! It's so hard being the only one, or feeling like you are. That's a lot of weight for one person to carry. And also, in my experience at least, there's a lot of difference in experiences that aren't captured if you're only hearing the experiences of one person.

Hello @OscarJones 

Hello @Shaz51 🌼 !

How has immigrating to a new country and integrating into a new culture affected your mental health & recovery @sagilove95 @amber22 

@Shaz51 @Prosperity feel free to jump in too if you'd like 😊

I come from a culture where growing up, the norm was often to ‘suck it up’ and carry on as there were people who had it much worse than I did. The biggest barrier was having adequate mental health support services that would cater to individuals from all socio-economic backgrounds. For me, it has been a privilege to be able to have access to services and resources that I could only dream of back home. Anxiety and depression sort of came as a package as I struggled to cope with homesickness and isolation due to COVID-19, but I was able to get support from my University's wellbeing office wherein I was provided referral pathways as I was relatively unaware. It took a while to find a culturally respectful and compatible mental health practioner, but that has been a big protective factor for me to be able to support my recovery. I think stigma and discrimination are something individuals with mental ill health deal with throughout the world- however I feel grateful to be in a developed progressive country where there is more awareness and acceptance. 

Australia is a lot more accepting when it comes to mental health than the country I was in before, and there are a lot more services and government grants that can help when it comes to mental health. Recovering from my mental health journey has been a lot better here as I have had a lot more access than I would have had beforehand, and the rising acceptance of complex mental health has made me feel a lot more comfortable to share how I feel with others 😊  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance