Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday: Carers Week **TONIGHT!** 6pm - 8pm AESDT

Hi everyone,

Lastly, I would like to pose this question before we end.

What issues related to mental health or carer support in Australia, do you think carers should come together and advocate about.

Hobbit.

Hi Eagle,

I'll go further than that too. It's about making habit of things, sure. But I also believe in this - whatever it is you are doing, make "a thing" of it. So that could be anything. If you are just going for a walk up to the shops for example. Make it "a thing". As in "that's what I'm doing right now so I will do it to the best of my ability". THis can go for anything.....wahing the dishes, cleaning the hose....doing some online grocery shopping. It's like focussing on the task at hand. I find that if I make "a thing" out of what I do, this kind of give me purpose, and that's a really important thing to have - purpose.

Do you agree?

Hobbit.

Hi chaps, as I'm only at the beginning of the journey I'm starting to physically look after myself, do the equivalent of movies by sewing with other women & crafting - Xmas cards are on the way! I gues I'm distracting myself essentially.It feels quite selfish! Yes I get groceries delivered, you can also go pick up the finished lot of groceries for a lesser fee. What states are the first aid courses run in? 🙂

Lots of issues are possible.  Access to respite amd good quality support groups are two of them.  Mental Health respite is often hard to get.

Hi MrsC,

How are you? Haven't chatted for a while.

I forget - which state are you in? I'm happy to look this up for you.

Hobbit.

Hi happyboy,

Do you think online support forums like this one are good? Or would you prefer face to face groups? Or would that all depend on the situation?

In regards to respite, which organisaiton do you think are good for this? Perhaps you could share?

Hobbit.

And further to happyboy's post, I would also like to introduce ARAFMI’s new “Carer Community Connections” service.

Often, as part of recovery, we need to develop good community networks, which can help guide us on our journey/s and give us more confidence in ourselves. A good network of other services and people can give us the strength we need to continue in our daily lives, and can also offer us opportunities to extend support to others who may really need it. So ARAFMI’s “Carer Community Connections” service aims to do just that.

We can listen to you and connect you with services that you may not know exist, or connect you with services that may be right for you. You can call ARAFMI’s “Carer Community Connections” anytime between 9am – 5pm Mondays to Fridays on:

02 9332 0700 or1800 655 198.

Alternatively, if you have any further queries, feel free to email us on admin@arafmi.org

Feel free to long onto ARAFMI’s website here and view the media release.

I'd like more respite....ones away from the bush and away from the country....how about near a beach?

Let's advocate for that

I feel like doing something to help others who are struggling more than us would help me a lot - not sure how to do that

Respite is provided by Commonwealth Respite who farm that out to local cottages.  Also Sunshine Cottages can be used, care of Schiztophrenia Fellowship (contacted at the West Head office).  For people in the northern Sydney try Northside Community Forum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance