Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Moving on to our next question: The theme of this year’s BPD Awareness Week is ‘see the person’. Why is that so important? @Alex_Spectrum @BPDSurvivor 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

@TideisTurning I think this is so important because at times health services and members of the public can get caught up in seeing someone only for their diagnosis.

Based on the current DSM criteria for BPD there are so many different combinations of symptoms that may be exhibited in people with a diagnosis of BPD. As a result we know that no two people with BPD are alike and I think that’s crucial to keep in mind when working with people.

I think it’s important not to just rely on commonly held beliefs about what works for BPD and to instead work with a person to find out what might work for them and to understand their individual story. Connection is such an important part of working with people with a diagnosis of BPD.

The theme of this year’s BPD Awareness Week is ‘see the person’. Why is that so important?

I am not a number.

I am not a case.

I am not a diagnosis.

I am a person. A real person.

This theme urges people to look beyond the diagnosis and the behaviours that come with it – to see the real person. To see their strengths, their passions, their zeal, their care for others.

This is the person-centred approach we need to see more of. This is why this year’s theme ‘See the Person’ is so important.

When I was treated as a person, I became a person. I thank those who did see through my unhelpful behaviours to find that fearful and disconnected ‘person’ within me.

@M_P90 @puzzlingdino @Determined 

Hi I am not sure of what to do or say. I was diagnosed late last year and I have been having a hard time of late, as a matter of fact I've had a lot of mental health triggers/crisis

Hi @Millieme that sounds like a really tough experience to have gone through. I hope that tonight helps to show that not everyone believes the stigma around BPD. It's true that for some people they would prefer not to have the diagnosis and find that it can be stigmatising and impact on how they are seen by others. For other people the diagnosis can be helpful as they find that it helps to explain a lot of their difficulties and help them to feel less alone.

In terms of treatment we don't often focus on the diagnosis, we more focus on the person and on what the person wants support with and on their specific goals for therapy. 

I am 47 years old.

@Alex_Spectrum wrote:

@TideisTurning I think this is so important because at times health services and members of the public can get caught up in seeing someone only for their diagnosis.

Based on the current DSM criteria for BPD there are so many different combinations of symptoms that may be exhibited in people with a diagnosis of BPD. As a result we know that no two people with BPD are alike and I think that’s crucial to keep in mind when working with people.

I think it’s important not to just rely on commonly held beliefs about what works for BPD and to instead work with a person to find out what might work for them and to understand their individual story. Connection is such an important part of working with people with a diagnosis of BPD.

I really like this @Alex_Spectrum, and especially the last part you've written here about focusing on and connecting with an individual for who they are and how the diagnosis presents for them rather than getting caught with how a diagnosis might sound coming from a textbook for example. I know for me, it is super reassuring to have these kinds of words/ attitude coming from a MH professional/ clinician. Also the essence and a reinforcement of the importance of seeing the person. Thank you so much for sharing this with us ❤️

I hear you @kellee .

Sometimes it's okay not to know what to say. It can be quite confronting to receive a diagnosis, yet it can also be an answer to what you are going through.

The hardest part for me @kellee , was dealing with people. Interpersonal relationships were a trigger. 

If I lived on my own little island, I'm sure I wouldn't have BPD because I wouldn't have to deal with people!

I agree @kellee. It's ok to not know what to say or do. I hope you have good support around you and it's been helpful to learn a bit more about BPD tonight. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance