Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // Disclosure - what you do and don't have to tell // Friday, 15 July

Hi @Renstar,
My question would be how to hide/tell huge gaps in a resume. For me nearly 5 years of no activity. At some stage when I become more well I need to look for work but am scared of how to address this.

Re: Career Chat // Disclosure - what you do and don't have to tell // Friday, 15 July

More strategies for you if you're looking for work ...

•  to look for mental health/disability-friendly careers.

• Get your ‘‘foot in the door’’  via disability organizations or jobs. Even in organizations without specific disability missions, disability could be an advantage. For example, a family lawyer believed she was asked to join the firm in part because of her personal disability experience as well as her skills in working with clients with disabilities (LIVED EXPERIENCE COUNTS!)

• Have realistic expectations of the type of job you could reasonably get;
    • Use networking and connections to find open positions;
    • Take advantage of volunteer positions, internships, and temporary work to make connections with potential employers; and
    • Be persistent and assertive, keep applying

• Be reasonbable but don't buy into stereotypes about what people with disabilities can and cannot do. 

• For example, careers in government, where disability is recognized as an asset rather than a liability

• If you are looking for work don't underestimate the importance of presenting yourself in straightforward, mental health 'positive' manner and focusing on how well you can do the job.

• Have a PMPI ... practice ... be prepapred

Although gaps in resumes has not been discussed today, you might like to contribute to that in a related post.

Gaps in resumes can be explained by

• sabaticals, retreats
  • time off due to personal/family reasons
  • or plainly "I have time off when I need to take care of my mental illness."

All of these options are viable, however with the final option there is a strong need for you to be well placed to answer questions regarding your mental illness and also have a pre-prepared plan to provide the potential employer with the maxium amount of information possible ... don't leave them assuming or guessing!!

Finally ... as the time has come for today's forum to end ...

I hope some new ideas and options were uncovered for you today, if you would like to keep adding to the forum please do and if you have a query or comment forum please leave it and I will endeavour to answer it.

Thanks for you contribution @Former-Member and thanks to @NikNik

Until next week, I hope you have a great weekend, stay rugged up and make sure you schedule lots of pleasurable activitiesSmiley Very Happy

Sorry too late

Hi @Former-Member thanks for your question ... as we approached the end of the session I became aware we hadn't discussed this and I did mention a little about it in my last post ...

I would say moving forward that an excellent way to fill in the gaps is via volunteer work ... when you're down and not able to work in an employed capacity ... even a small amount of volunteer work keeps you 'working' and will be able to be used within your resume instead of having those telling gaps ...

What have you said/disclosed in the past?

@Renstar
I haven't yet been able to look for work but I have not worked for 22 years. I have things to fill in the gaps for nearly all but the past five years but it will be obvious something happened and I won't have any references or much to fall back on. I'm sure there will be time to discuss this more in the future. I will have to find paid employment in the next 18months but my goal is to volunteer at some stage in the near future

Hi @Former-Member yes, we can definitely talk about this in the future.

Please feel free to open this discussion with me at any time.

Also, consider creating a plan for how you will eventually discuss the gap and your mental health issues (see the PMPI from previous post), practice interviews with someone you trust, consider work where your lived experience would be a welcome asset ...

... and stay well. Thank you for sharing.

All the best Smiley Happy

I have recently started relief work after 15yrs out of the workplace. I have not told them I have a mental illness. Some days I have had to say I am unavailable without giving reason. Always worried I won't keep my job. Prefer to show them I am worth keeping before venturing on the subject. Oh the added pressure though!!

Yes I have many of the issues that @Former-Member and @Shorty5 mentioned and low self esteem to worry about etting back in work place ... but then sometimes I wonder that maybe I can ... I am abit flip flop about it ... so until I have some supports in place and feel I can get behind other "work" more .. I accept my current situation.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance