Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Hi everyone

I have over the past 6 yrs taken myself off my anti-depressants.  Reason - because I didn't want the stigma of having a mental illness and taking meds.  But I soon realised that it was a huge mistake.  My moods escalated so much; my thoughts of self harm and suicide were very real and I was so much more emotional.  Even my GP and psych and therapist knew when I wasn't taking them.  

I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it without meds - but looking back now I was so wrong.  And then i was angry with myself for stopping.  It was a vicious cycle.

So now I have very reluctant decided to keep taking them for however long.  If it means for life well so be it. It is like I need to take my blood pressure tablets and my iron infusion - all to help me feel better.

Hello @NikNik, @snoopy, @Former-Member, @MoonGal, @Shimmer, @Karensfred

My husband has MI all his life , his meds has been trial and error for sooo many years , now he has found the antidepressants , and the anti anxiety meds that he is on now are good but with some side effort like putting a on weight

And now he has a lump on his chest which the doctor thinks it is from his meds

I have a silly question but if I feel I need to increase my medication do I book an appointment to see my GP or can I book it over the phone? 

Prior to moving here I worked with a mental health nurse through the RFDS and I just told her and she sort of sorted it for me so I'm feeling quite lost on how it's normally done? 

Doing a call out to @Hazelle @dianaprince @Simack @BlueBay @Wings1 @Brand-Newday @kaybee75 @Foucault @janedoe2 @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Melb456 @verity85 @Former-Member @rabbit78 @Akemp1973

Be sure to join us for Topic Tuesday 🙂

The doctor wants him to wean off the meds slowly but when he took only half he became unwell agin , he wants to stay on them but is worried about the sideafects

Hi @Billamba

Each time I have had my meds increased by my pyschiatrist.  I did phone him once and he said to increase them.  So maybe call your GP.  It's that sometimes they like to chat with you first; just to see how you are going.

Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Hi @Shaz51 - welcome to Topic Tuesday.
I do hope your husband is doing okay. I have seen you post about the Dr trips lately.
You're a great support to your husband.

it's great that you're here tonight. I think you'll get some tips and strategies that you work with your husband on.

Thankyou for sharing your story @BlueBay.  Stigma is the very real issue that prevents people staying on their medications when they need them.  And that stigma can do a lot of harm and cause a lot of suffering.  Mental illness isn’t about being strong enough to endure without intervention (be it medication or therapy), however much stigma would have us dictate sometimes.  Thanks again and continue to take care of yourself.

Thanks @BlueBay
I find it so hard to know what to do and still really struggle with the stigma around mental illness and antidepressants so avoid talking about it as much as possible.

Re: Topic Tuesday // IN SESSION NOW // Medication

Thanks @NikNik and @snoopy

My other question is that my husband takes meds one in the morning and on at night , sometimes he will take another one during the day -- is this ok

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance