Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Pearls
New Contributor

Short term psychosis after coming off antipsychotic???

Hey sane people. I'm a 34 year old female that come off of an antipsychotic medication, over a period of 2 months at the start of the year. I had my last tablet back in April. Some unfortunate things happened in my life after giving up this medication because I was on it for 6 years but had a misdiagnosis with my mental illness. As I was coming off the meds my complex PTSD was really quite bad.. 6 months down the track and I am starting to wonder if I went into a tiny short term psychosis for a couple of weeks and couldn't tell the difference between reality and a triggering PTSD episode. 

Can this happen???

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Short term psychosis after coming off antipsychotic???

Hey @Pearls,

Welcome to the forums 😊 it's so lovely to have you part of the community. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I am sure there are others here that can relate and are able to share parts of their own experiences and story. We, of course, always encourage people to seek professional advice and assessment when it comes to their own symptoms/experiences, but it can also feel helpful to understand what other's personal journeys may look like 💚

Please feel more than welcome to take a look around and jump in another thread if it's what you're feeling. Just a quick handy tip, if you use an @ symbol before a member's name, it'll alert the member that you have mentioned them. Happy forumsing!

Re: Short term psychosis after coming off antipsychotic???

Hi @Pearls and welcome to the forums. I had a really bad experience with a medication I was put on - not exactly the same as you but it certainly triggered my cPTSD and SI. For a time I could not separate reality and nightmares/thoughts. Thankfully at the time I was seeing my GP several times a week and she stopped that particular med instantly. We all have different reactions/benefits from different medications and as @Basil has said - it is best to talk to a professional about your specific experiences - but we are here to support you also. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance