Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SteamedToast
Senior Contributor

Seeking help for suicidal thoughts.

Hi everyone. First time poster and new to SaneForums. I was hoping for some advice from people who have lived through similar experiences.

I have suffered from depression and anxiety for around 8 years now. I recently have gone through a break up of a long term relationship, lost my job and my home. For the first time in my life I am having strong suicidal urges.

I have always been very open about talking about mental health, but am struggling to talk about the suicidal thoughts. I have a GP i see regularly, as well as a new psychologist but I feel this is not currently enough to keep me safe. I do not know how to get the next level of help. I have spoken to lifeline, but I feel if things stay as they are or got any worse I may need to be hospitalised.

Does anyone have any experience with hospitalisation for mental health or calling 000? I am unsure who I should be asking for, police or ambulance. If anyone has any advice as well on reaching out to family to discuss suicidal plans I would also be incredibly grateful.

I'm at my lowest low, but not giving up just yet. Thank you for any advice.

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Seeking help for suicidal thoughts.

Hi @SteamedToast
Pls call 000 and ask for ambulance. They will connect you to a paramedic while another will come. You need to speak to someone.
Otherwise call lifeline or do you know your local CAT team of your hospital.
Pls seek help you deserve the help and support. Pls take care.
I know how you feel. I've been there like you before Xmas. I called 000 and asked for an ambulance. They were fantastic and made sure I was safe once I got to hospital.
Be safe. Pls let us know.

Hi @SteamedToast and welcome to the forum!

In my experience, I see a psychologist to help me with suicidal thoughts, however, having said that, if the urges become severe and I feel I can no longer keep myself safe, I call for assistance from 000 and ask for an ambulance. The ambulance operators can generally assess over the phone if the Police will need to attend (and the past both the police and ambos have attended to me). 

Accessing mental health services in a crisis is usually done via the hospital emergency room unless you are already in their 'system'. If you are known to mental health services, you could call the mental health triage team (they are called different things in different areas). 

I hope you manage to get the help you need to make it through this dark period of your life.

Thank you @BlueBay. That is really helpful to know for if I decide to make the call. I have been in touch with the local CAT team via phone here around Christmas also. It may well be worth touching base with them again. I feel I have been very reluctant to reach out in case they do suggest hospital. I am very afraid of my family and their reaction to finding out that I have been having suicidal thoughts.

Thank you @Queenie. It's so helpful to understand other people's experiences with this. I find there are very few resources available that give a clear idea of what happens after calling 000 which I think makes me more reluctant. I really appreciate you sharing with me

Hi Steamed Toast

Im Mysticmountain one of the moderators on the forum. 

I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and say good on you for reaching out for support. I am glad that you have found a place where you feel comfortable to open up and discuss topics that you havent been able to talk through with people in your life. There are a few people that maybe able to offer support @Kurra @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51

It is great that you have been able to reach out to lifeline however if you do need immediate assistance please contact '000' and request an ambulance. 

You have shown great courage  in reaching out for help and I hope you continue to do so. 

Please take care. 

Hi @SteamedToast
That's one thing my family don't know about. Def contact your CAT team. I found mine were really good.

I've just given my advice. But that's ok. No one has to read mine.

Hi @Former-Member. Thank you for reaching out to me. This has already been a positive experience for me. I was unsure as whether posting directly about suicidal thoughts was allowed on this forum, so I am very glad to have been accepted without any judgement so far. I am really struggling, but for the immediate moment I feel safe enough. Being able to read and reply to people is a very different experience for me.

I definitely appreciate your advice @BlueBay. To have anyone offer anything at the moment is overwhelming but also comforting. Thank you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance