Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Christopher64
Contributor

Problem with psychologists

Hi everyone

I know it has been a very difficult time for all of us who have mental health issues - more so because of the pandemic.

But I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the psychologist they have been referred to?

My previous psychologist called me selfish and wasting her time. I was shocked and eventually left her. Is it OK for a psychologist to say this to a vulnerable person?

And now my current psychologist has gone AWOL.  I had a telehealth session back in August and for some strange reason have heard nothing else from him.  Even my GP has had no communications from the psychologist.

If the pandemic is the reason - don't you think someone at the clinic could have communicated this to me rather than just stop seeing me?

I would just like some opinions from other forum members.  Cos the past few years I have had very little help from the psychologists who I was referred to.

Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Problem with psychologists

Hi @Christopher64 Smiley Happy

@Christopher64 wrote:

But I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the psychologist they have been referred to?

Oh, yes. You will certainly find many people who have had bad experiances with therapists. I;m one myself, and I've met many others on here.

@Christopher64 wrote:

My previous psychologist called me selfish and wasting her time. I was shocked and eventually left her. Is it OK for a psychologist to say this to a vulnerable person?

IMHO, no, this is terrible behavior. But I'm probably biased because I've had similar experiances myself, so maybe my point of view is wrong and theirs is right. Even so, I fail to see how being so unkind to someone can be expected to have a positive result.

@Christopher64 wrote:

And now my current psychologist has gone AWOL.  I had a telehealth session back in August and for some strange reason have heard nothing else from him.  Even my GP has had no communications from the psychologist.

If the pandemic is the reason - don't you think someone at the clinic could have communicated this to me rather than just stop seeing me?

This does seem strange, but if your GP is likewise not getting any respone from the therapist, that would seem to suggest that the problem is with the therapist and not specifically a slight against you.

Your therapist has a staff? i.e. a recepionist/secretary, ect.? Can you get in contact with them to ask what the problem might be?

If your therapist is just a single-employee business, then maybe they've been taken ill, or had to drop everything due to a family emergency, ect.?

Thank you so much for your response

My psychologist is part of a group where there is a receptionist and other support staff.  I just don't understand why one minute I am told that due to the pandemic there would be an additional 10 sessions covered by Medicare to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

This has taken my progress backwards. I am sick with worry and anxiety.  I hardly eat and hardly sleep. I rarely go out - even though Melbourne has relaxed restrictions.

I just don't know what to do.

In that case, I would try contacting the reception staff and asking what's happening. Maybe just check with them that you have the correct contact details for your therapist and that they are currant. At least then you'll know what's going on.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Some people suck at their jobs, and some people unfortunately suck at jobs that have a whole lot riding on them. 

I am really sorry that you have had a bad experience with your psychologists, but please don't think of it as a problem with you. You deserve to get the help you deserve, and I would encourage you to keep shopping around. Sometimes it does take a bit of that to find someone who's right for you.

Think of it as a business transaction, hiring someone to help you. YOU have got the power in that regard.

As for me, I have had my problems dismissed by a couple of University counselors. To be fair, apparently one of them thought that I was just trying to get an extension on an assignment, which although dubious, is not representative of their normal behaviour. The other one, I am not too sure what happened. She told me that she thought that, for me, counselling had become a "way of life." I still don't know what she meant, but whatever.

The last psychologist I had was OK-good, I would say.

I am VERY grateful to her for helping me in our early sessions, talking about my childhood trauma and teaching me how to cry. Unfortunately, though, I had a breakup and some other social issues about six months into our correspondence, and it completely distracted me from everything I wanted to get out of the treatment in the first place. I'm sure that's a common experience.

Nothing she said could help me. She was very adamant that I shouldn't feel lonely, because I have my family. I am not emotionally open with my family, though. They just wouldn't be able to handle it in a healthy way.

One day, I described a very vivid and intense period of suicidal thoughts. I was angry that no-one was there for me. I only came back from the edge of death because I had to go to a meeting. No-one knew or cared how I felt. She went as far as to say "but you weren't alone. It was your choice not to reach out to your family." That straight pissed me off.

I haven't seen her since last year. I think she was good, she just wasn't right for me, at least in that particular area.

I was considering trying again, or trying someone else, but then COVID-19 hit and now all appointments are online or over the phone only. With all due respect, screw that...

[...]"problems with the psychologist they have been referred to?"[...]

It has been SO frustrating. The spectrum of incompetence has been an huge issue and every time you have to start all over with building a rapport (and minus the financial resources you already spent).

"My previous psychologist called me selfish and wasting her time."

That is not OK. Being honest is a great, but as a Psychologist you should have the wisdom to know how to communicate with a client.

[...]"my current psychologist has gone AWOL."

It has happened to us too.  It's unprofessional and upsetting.   It takes a simple email to communicate with a client. 

You're not alone with your experience.  It might be worth your time (and money) to explain this to your referring GP - they need feedback from patients as this will influence their future referrals.

It's tough finding a Psychologist who is a good match, but is it asking too much that all qualified Psychologists should at least professional?

I've completely lost faith in anything to do with getting help for anything at all related toentsl.health. I keep things very simple now. I.dont get attached or close to any therapist when I'm seeing one. 

I.do not allow anyone, therapist or otherwise to be in charge of me getting better entirely. I keep my independence and do my own thing according to what I feel is right. Once my objective and outcome is something I'm satisfied with and my goal.is reached, if I don't like the person I move on. 

Some psychiatrists/counsellors really suck. However, they are human too. By no means do I now down to their chosen profession like they are some gift to humanity. They simply are not. They're just another human who has chosen to attempt helping another human. This does not mean they have no work to do on themselves. 

Things some psychologists have said to you are extremely innapropriate. I have wanted some psychiatrists sacked on the spot for things they have said and done. Justice in this bullshit country has always been bullshit. 

Basically I've reached a point in my life where I am using them to improve my life. If they don't cut it, I walk away, no explanation, no reasoning, and I am off. I'm under no.obligation to them, nor do I owe them anything. I paid, turned up and did the work. That's all that was required. 

I do not allow anyone to be in charge of me and my recovery. I call the shots and I make it clear if need be. 

I'm sorry you've had these experiences. I hope you have found the support and care here you need in regards to your post. 

Take good care. 

@Former-Member wrote:

Nothing she said could help me. She was very adamant that I shouldn't feel lonely, because I have my family. I am not emotionally open with my family, though. They just wouldn't be able to handle it in a healthy way.

One day, I described a very vivid and intense period of suicidal thoughts. I was angry that no-one was there for me. I only came back from the edge of death because I had to go to a meeting. No-one knew or cared how I felt. She went as far as to say "but you weren't alone. It was your choice not to reach out to your family." That straight pissed me off.

This is one of the things that really appalls me, especially because it is so commonplace. When you hire a therapist, you are hiring a professional helper. i.e. You should be able to reasonably depend on getting assistance that beats what you would get out of a typical layman.

Yet by so many accounts, the assistance is noticeably poorer then what you would get out of a regular acquaintance.

Obviously, nobody knows what a person's family situation is straight off the bat, but for 98% of the population, once you'd explained to them that you are not close to your biological family, the other person would almost certainly understand and respect that and not continue to behave as if your family are an asset towards remedying your problem! People not getting along with their biological familiesis a very common issue! If anyone should appreciate the dynamics of that, it's a professional therapist who deals with emotional distress everyday!

Yet a rediculous percentage of therapists refuse to respect those very straightforward details that bear on a person's life and options. You go in to professional therapy and very likely have your case handled in a manner that is significantly poorer then what any amateur could manage! It's unbelievable! And it's happening all the time to patients left, right and center!

A couple years before I went in to therapy, I had a mate that tried to help me. He failed because he couldn't grasp the all-important subtle details that made all the differance, but he got pretty damn close to doing the job. It gave me rediculously high expectations of what I could expect from the professional assistance that cost $120+/hr.

I swear, if I only knew more everyday Joes with an inclination to be helpful for people in need, my life could be on track within a couple of weeks.

@Marmite wrote:

It's tough finding a Psychologist who is a good match, but is it asking too much that all qualified Psychologists should at least professional?

With the rising tide of patients vocally expressing their displeasure about the quality of therapy, I've noticed that a lot of the recent literature regarding future policy towards the mental health system reccommends "additional training" for therapists, as a way to remedy these quality issues.

I just roll my eyes when I read that. Training won't do a damned thing, except maybe teach therapists how to say all the right things to win over an examiner and/or an investigator who wants to measure her compassion and respect for patients.

Compassion can't be taught in a classroom. It can't be lectured in to someone. It can't be picked up by pulling an all-night study session bent over a 20lbs. textbook. Therapists (very often) see their patients as "lesser" people. You can't train that sort of prejudice out of someone. Infact, IMHO, the excessive training regime of the mental health industry probably bears a large part of the blame for why therapists are, so commonly, amongst the least-respectful people on the planet.

@Powderfinger wrote:

I.dont get attached or close to any therapist when I'm seeing one. 

I.do not allow anyone, therapist or otherwise to be in charge of me getting better entirely. I keep my independence and do my own thing according to what I feel is right. Once my objective and outcome is something I'm satisfied with and my goal.is reached, if I don't like the person I move on.

Justice in this bullshit country has always been bullshit. 

Basically I've reached a point in my life where I am using them to improve my life. If they don't cut it, I walk away, no explanation, no reasoning, and I am off. I'm under no.obligation to them, nor do I owe them anything. I paid, turned up and did the work. That's all that was required. 

I do not allow anyone to be in charge of me and my recovery. I call the shots and I make it clear if need be.

TBH, When I read this post I can't help but wonder if there is some deliberate aspect to the way the system treats people like us. Is there a deliberate "devided they fall"-type strategy going on here? Is the system deliberately trying to turn us in to cold, detatched, distrustful people, so that we can't have strong relationships? So that we can't meaningfully engage with communities, societies & the world and thereby exert some infulence over them? Is it all about conning the crazies into self-isolating? Making us so distrustful and resentful of the world that we ourselves minimize all contact? Are they building the new asylums right inside our own attitudes & behaviors?

I just think it's strange that there is such widespread abuse going on in this industry where trust is so essential. I mean people must realize that when you hurt someone in the therapy environment that it is especially dammaging, not only to the patient themselves, but also to their trust and respect for the rest of humanity. I struggle to believe that the system isn't aware that these abuses make people colder, and therefore have significant impacts on their prospects for strong, meaningful relationships in the future.

I don't mean to sound judgemental, BTW. And I only mention this because I realize that I myself would be a cold, unpleasant patient if I ever went back to therapy, due to my previous ordeal in the system. I was a very friendly, charitable, compassionate person before I went in to therapy, but I feel that all of that has been burnt off off me now by my therapist. Now, I just can't see myself being anything better then suspicious, accusatory and impatient with anyone I might turn to in the future. And the catch 22 is that, as a general rule, when you treat people badly, you tend to get bad results. So I'd really just be shooting myself in the foot with my own prejudice.

I just can't get that bitch's taint out of my head.Smiley Sad

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance