Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cinders
Contributor

Pivotal times

Last year I quit drinking alcohol. I'm safer for it mentally but I've noticed my relationships have changed a lot since. My friends aren't as active as they used to be. I feel as though I am alone in a groundhog day. Wakeup, work, kid stuff, dinner, bed, repeat. Like there's nothing to look forward to, nothing is bringing joy. I've booked a holiday that I'm not excited about. Is this physiological or am I depressed? [It's been 6 months since I quit alcohol and started exercising instead.

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Pivotal times

Hey there @Cinders ,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Good on you for being able to quit drinking. It can certainly change one's life. 

Alcohol is known to slow down your system, and while you feel good for a while, it can cause you to feel really low. However, I've noted that you didn't feel this until AFTER you quit. Have you been feeling like this for a while? If it's been a few months, it's probably worth speaking to your doctor about it. 

I know life can feel mundane sometimes. I hear you in regards to the routine. I can relate to the routine, but I feel different about it - that is, i feel safe with the routine.

However, I can remember a time when I really didn't enjoy life. Every day was a chore. Waking up was so much effort. And yes, that was when I was diagnosed with severe depression. It then resulted in anxiety too... but with the right anti-depressant, exercise and healthy diet, I was more able to focus on therapy. Nowadays, life is extraordinary for me.

So yes, if in doubt, it's best to speak to a professional. You may be able to get a mental health care plan which will help with funding psych sessions if you need.

SANE also has a Guided Service which you may be eligible for. You can check your eligibility here: https://www.sane.org/referral

I look forward to hearing how you go. 

Thank you @tyme it's good to be here.

I think I'm bored, lonely and drifting without direction. A few solid decades of drinking heavily may take a while to undo.

I will speak to my GP about it. Thanks for the tip ☆

Certainly. I was diagnosed quite young so I feel like I lost my late teenagehood and my early adulthood. Since recovering, I'm always on the go. I feel like I'm making up for lost time. @Cinders 

For me, at this point, I feel so much better than even before I was diagnosed with depression. I realised that there was an even better sort of 'normal' which I never knew existed.

Mind you... because I do so much, I get tired and I still struggle to get out of bed. But when I'm up, I'm always really excited to be around... 

It wasn't always like that. There was a time where I felt like I was the walking dead... I dragged my feet everywhere.

Let's just say, there's a spring in my step?

Please know that most people go through these dips. That's why we need each other to get through it 🙂

So glad to have you with us.

Tagging a few other members who many want to say hi @Shaz51 @Zoe7 @ArraDreaming @Oaktree @PinkFlamingo @Tilz @Asgard @MermaidHair 

@Cinders Gday just saying well done quitting alcohol, it was a problem for me too in the past so I did have a period where I quit completely so I have been there, I drink now but much better at controlling it and within moderation… I can easily go without and when I do drink it’s 1 or 2 beers only, I find it easier to say no.
I just wanted to say well done, it’s tough right now but you have made a huge step in the right direction that will pay dividends

Thanks @ArraDreaming  Did you feel flat and disconnected after you quit alcohol in the early days too?

I Had a nervous breakdown and was drinking heaps of red a day [quantity removed by moderator]

Ended up in hospital with liver failure. The doctor told my wife to say goodbye as they thought I was a goner. Somehow the liver started to work a bit.

That was over 9 years ago and haven't had any alcohol since.

So if you want to stop.

Yeah, for sure… not going to sugar coat it I was miserable for a bit, but what I didn’t realise was that I was much more miserable while drinking at night alone on my couch as someone who already had significant mental health issues. I was completely alone, no partner, no job.

It got better, but I first had to recognise I needed to change which is what you have done. I would second the recommendation to have a chat to your GP, I didn’t and it was a lot harder. I wish I had spoken to them earlier.

That when I was a lot younger, I’m almost 29 now and have been married for over a year with 3 kids, alcoholism runs in my family… and I am glad that it is stopping at me though.

Enough about me, I just want to say again well done it’s tough, please stick it out, and chat to your doc @Cinders

Thanks for sharing, and for the advice. Well done on your awesome achievements. 

And you too, recognise that you might be feeling a bit crappy right now but what you have done is pretty significant
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance