Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Oh no...menopause!!!

One more laugh to add @Change123. When I got my period I was very calm and called mum into my room and tried to tell her. Well, she let out an almost blood curdling scream "WHAT!" And I decided then and there that my life had come to an end. And then, in a house of 4 women there was nothing practical to offer, no pads or anything. Much to my horror, mum then went next door and told them, returning with this medieval belt,(remember) and a giant pad to attatch to it. That was it for me...I ran and cried and cried until someone found me and said we could just see what happened. I do remember that I got 4 days off school, staying with my favourite aunt living on hot chocolate. See the sweet needs had started straight away. What hope did I have? Sharks sound pretty good to me...more chance of survival..ha lol.😃

So @Former-Member@utopia do you really think this could be normal? it's been a long time since anyone said anything was normal about me! My best friend asks the question "who wants to be normal anyway"My gp sent me for a heap of blood tests but said the pill could be masking the results. She did say she could change it to hrt but when my elder sister tried that she said she felt homicidal.

I'm just so scared that my memories will become, I don't know...more. and that if my hormones are out of whack I won't be able to cope at all.

My psychologist, who I haven't actually seen for a while told me to think about sexuality especially because the only relationchips (sexual that is) have been totally bad that I might need to get in touch with these rapidly out of control hormnes to understand any of the situation. But just the word ' sex ' brings up such horrible thoughts that I am too scared to visit.

So " it" has become a real issue, in case you missed it. Thank you for showing me I am not the only one experiencing these things! BTW has anyone come across any research? And everyone is right, maybe more women need to be involved to look at the links between menopause and MI! Afterall we're the only ones who can have both!!!

Bb

One more thing, my sister who I live with asked me when would she know if I was faking the symptoms, after I got up the courage to tell her the gps diagnosis. Believe me, she'll know lol. 

And she breezed through it..didn't change a bit..jusy stopped her periods. Mind you it's the only thing that has happened to her without any drama..lol

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good night @Baileyboy, @utopia, @Change123, sleep well and peace be with you 🙂

Hi @Baileyboy,

I went through a major breakdown in the years before I officially entered menopause. This perimenopause time was worse on my mental health than what I have gone through for the past couple of years since my periods stopped. I think that's partly because it was all much more new and bewildering when this process began with perimenopause. By the time my periods stopped, I already had started acclimatising to the process of change we go through at this time of our lives. Here is what I have noticed in Menopause itself:

. yay, my periods stopped!

. I gradually put on weight over the years of perimenopause and menopause and went from size 12 to size 18. However, during this time I also started two medications associated with weight gain when I was diagnosed with bipolar. I think both menopause and medications have contributed to the significant weight gain. I also have a protruding and bloated belly a lot now, which I didn't before this all started.

. I started getting slight hot flashes with perimenopause, which have increased a lot during menopause itself. On the recommendation of my GP, I take Black Cohosh, also known at the pharmacy as 'Remifemin'. This has helped a lot with the flashes, but they still break through to some extent. I am also generally very inclined to overheating with much more sweating than previously (but I also live in a warm climate).

. After about 18 months without a period, my general health and energy levels declined. I developed some arthritis and other physical symptoms which interfered with daily functioning. These are now being well treated by my GP and things have improved there. It's important to me that I have a thorough GP who also knows about my mental health. She has contributed greatly to my better wellbeing with menopause.

. My GP talked a number of times about the possibility of me starting on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). But I have elected to go through menopause without this. As others have said, it is a natural process and I want to go through it as naturally as possible.

. My 'looks' have gone downhill with menopause (again a natural part of aging). Grey hair now (which I colour). Fatter face. Weight gain around the neck and jowls. Pouches under my eyes. Skin a bit drier (but I live in a humid climate, so not so bad as it would be otherwise I think). My feet and hands get puffy with fluid retention. More lines on the face. Gravity generally taking more of a visible toll, as skin loses some of its former elasticity. I sometimes get self-conscious and sorry about these things. At other times I laugh at the process of aging. I have become less vain of these things than I used to be, which I attribute to some wisdom coming with the aging process too.

. Memory has declined to some extent and I too find lists a lot more helfpul than I used to. My general intelligence level is still fairly good though. I don't think I've noticed much change there. 

. I am now celibate and don't really miss the wild excesses of my younger days with sexuality. That aspect of life is associated with a lot of difficult emotional times and I don't miss those either. Libido is okay though and I am able to 'pleasure myself' effectively and regularly. I feel that I am left more at peace by men when I walk down the street and treated more liked a 'lady' on the whole, which I like. 

Menopause varies from woman to woman to some extent. An attitude that is (almost defiantly) as positive as possible, helps me get through it fairly smoothly, despite a lot of gradual changes happening.

Sending best wishes to you and all other women on the forum going through menopause. It's certainly not as scary or unpleasant as I feared it might be. Smiley Happy

Thanks @Mazarita

For me I have definitely noticed the corrolation between the times of "not having periods" and being more in control with MI than now when I have them back again.  I'm feeling ok now, pretty sure yesterday was just hormones now.  

Another interesting thing I have noticed is when I'm back to having my periods I always feel cold but when I dont thats when I get the hot flashes. As this is the first one or really 2 I have had in the last 3 weeks since 9 months ago will see what happens next time.  If it continues to give my BPD havoc I may look into HRT as its not just the anguish for myself but what I cause at home as well. My aprtner is understanding when it suits him but if he isnt in a good way mentally he can lecture me and get angry that I havent got strategies in place.  It hard to explain to a guy what its like when hormones take over and rationale isnt always there even though you may think it is.

Anyway the VIT D has helped a lot and I'm just trying to be very disciplined all round, like now when I get home I'm doing excercises to give me more of an outlet. Have to admit I was bad last night had 2 strong brandies which settled me down but I made myself do my excercises first so I felt a bit better.

Has anyone had experience with HRT and did it improve your MI?

@Baileyboy, the other thing I forgot to mention in my above post is that my skin in general is getting a bit more fragile, easier to bruise and I get some broken capillaries on my ankles, back and even around eyes and face. In general, I need to be gentler with myself physically and take a slower rhythm with things.

Hi @Change123, I really understand your concerns in relation to the effect of hormones and MI on your partner. I have a companion I live with and he is also an unofficial part-time carer for me. We had much more difficult times (mainly due to my MI) earlier on before I was given proper medication for my bipolar. Part of why I am so diligent about taking my meds now is that I am more worried about the effect of my moods on people I love than on myself. If I was in your position I too would consider HRT. I have a friend, post-menopausal now, who was a very angry person before she started HRT. She swears by it and is as gentle and sweet as can be now. I too take Vitamin D every day. This is partly because I do spend a lot of time indoors, despite getting out sporadically for beach walks in a sunny climate. But I get what you are saying about how it can be a good thing to take during perimenopause and menopause too. I have heard elsewhere too that it can help some symptoms of MI. Hope to hear more about your thinking and progress with exploring HRT over time.

Hi @Baileyboy@Mazarita@utopia@Former-Member

Here is one study that talks about depression and how "vulnerable " women with MI  can be effected.  Its not long just has a few things we have talked about.

https://womensmentalhealth.org/posts/proving-the-estrogen-withdrawal-hypothesis-of-perimenopausal-depression/

Anyway I'm feeling a lot better now that my periods have finished so will see what happens ie. when I get them next and how I feel and if it messes me up again, if its does I think I will discuss HRT options with my GP.  Its been a very wild rollercoaster the last 3 weeks but made it through and feeling positive again. Smiley Happy

One thing I have learned with this is dont see a male gp, I had years ago and his response was " hormones who knows" I thought great. My GP is good but when I can I see another GP who is in her 60's and gather she has gone through it, so I speak to her to get her experience knowledge as well. Not against men but how can they understand something they cant experience.

Hi @Change123, glad to hear you have got through a rough patch lately. I agree with you in general about male GPs. I have been seeing my lovely female GP now for about 9 years. Prior to that I struggled to even get more than one male GP to organise a pap smear for me (let alone do it themselves). There will be exceptions to this, of course, but with these kinds of female issues, female doctors have been best for me. 

@Mazarita@Baileyboy@Former-Member@utopia

This is some research based on BPD and peri-menopause.

Its long and a bit complicated, havent had time to read it all but hopefully it may help us understand things about ourselves.

Thanks @Mazarita I feel almost "normal " again, no speedy feeling, not all over the place with emotions and about to cry or smash something! Feel quite calm and happy Smiley Happy

I only get pap smears via female GP's now, I dont know if it was my "perception" but I remember when I was in my early twenties the male gp actually sent me to a specilist for a smear test, I gather he was too embarressed to do it (what a joke) anyway I was in my early twenties and the dr was about 60 plus and I dont know but he made me feel dirty - cant explain it just his mannerism the way he did it and then he wanted to check my breasts and that felt very awkward like he enjoyed it - I actually went straight home and had a shower thats how dirty I felt and ever since only go to a woman.  Having said that I was having issues with polyps and had a check up in the hospital with a lady gyno and she was awful.  Used a steel one that was ice cold, was very rough and hard - I was in agony during the check up and later had cramps for a couple of days - absolutely awful. The GP I have now is very good.

Hello @Change123, @Baileyboy, @Mazarita, @Former-Member, @utopia

how is everyone today xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance