Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: No one actually gives a shit, never any help when you need it.

It's just, not telling me makes me think the worst. But I think they are not telling me, because it IS the worst and they know I'll be upset. 
I don't have the confidence to ask for the main part. 
I guess for me these days, is it really is searching every day and giving myself a reason not to hurt myself and to plod through another day. 
If this news was bad and what I suspect. I see no reason to plod through. Going away for 2 weeks by myself gives me the freedom to make that choice. But I don't know the answer so i can't make that decision. But going away is an opportunity to make that decision I won't get again any time soon. 

Hey @Velociraptor, yep, totally understand. How frustrating that you've experienced this quite a few times with the HelpCentre. Sometimes it can close temporarily if staff are sick and they can't find someone to cover the shift, so it seems as though you've just been really unlucky on a few occassions.

It's very unfortunate what you've experienced at the hospital. Sometimes hospitals can really help some people, but no one deserves to be ignored or threatened. I'm really glad that you're able to reach out to places like SANE Australia and the forums so that you can get support from our community here.

Even with no reply, I do feel a bit better getting that out. 
thank you pea and cheer and jewels. 

@Velociraptor I can hear how important it is to have this information, especially given the big-ness of the decision. I hope you're able to find something helpful soon.

@Velociraptor  I agree helplines can be really unhelpful at times so for me it is best I just never use them cause it always makes me feel worse but I guess if it helps some people then that is good for them. Also hospital has a similar affect for me always makes me a lot worse. 

I am sorry your psychs aren’t telling you what is going on. If you don’t mind me asking what do you think they have changed the diagnosis too? Of course no pressure to answer but you may find other here with similar issues. I really hope you can get some peace with this issue and that people actually start being helpful. 

Hi @Velociraptor 

I hope you are feeling better than this morning.   It astonishes me that your new diagnosis won't be disclosed to you.   I can totally understand why you feel the way you do.  It is your right to know what is going on within your mind and body. 

I contacted Lifeline once and found they were not really that helpful.   I actually felt like I was being judged, so I know where you are coming from there.  I have found people here are way more helpful and understand your feelings and problems.  Also talking to people who actually go through the same things you do day to day are going to be way more helpful in giving advice and understanding.  Plus what they do to help them deal with day to day life could help you just the same.   That is just my opinion anyway.  

I send blessings to you and hope when you get away for awhile it will help.  Heart

Well I'm not a narcissist, sociopath or somehow faking It all. 
they were the main ones I was concerned about. 
it doesn't make sense, but in someways I would like a label. I just want to feel like less of a worthless failure or evil monster. To have hope that I will not always be an evil worthless failure of a human. 

@Velociraptor  That makes sense 

Hello @Velociraptor 

I am a carer and can give you a couple of tips in relation to communication with your treating team 

In accepting treatment, informed consent should be obtained. This means that you have a clear understanding of how the treatment is expected to alleviate the symptoms of mental illness.

This means if you agree to medication/therapy/other treatment you should understand

*Why the medication is being offered to you 

*What benefits you can expect

*When these benefits would become apparent

*What are the risks/major side effects of the med (the CMI gives a more exhaustive list)

*Why the expected benefits would outweigh the risks

*When will a review take place

*What evidence is there that this drug may be helpful to my situation.

Medications are not magic cure and  as with most health conditions the best outcomes are when medication and lifestyle changes are combined. 

With therapy you could ask

*What are the goals of therapy

* Is there one thing that I can work on that will help alleviate my symptoms (only if you would be prepared to do the work)

*Is there any evidence that this approach to treatment will be of benefit to my condition.

Perhaps if you write these questions down so you remember to ask them.

Section 5 of the Psychiatrist College code of ethics talks about communication in relation to treatment.

www.ranzcp.org/news-policy/news-archive/news-archive-2018/updated-ranzcp-code-of-ethics-released

I think I might know what my psych was trying to bring up - autism.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance