Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

CourtneyDavies6
New Contributor

Feeling lost and unsure what to do.

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. 

I am currently 20 years old and haven't had any paid employment experience. During my high school years, I lived 40 minutes away from school and no employee would accept me on those grounds. Anyhow, I wasn't able to obtain employment after school as I took on the role of a carer for my grandparents and brother (which I still do). I, have, however, managed to regularly commit myself to one aged care program, two children's cancer charities, two educational programs for disadvantaged youth and four museum programs. 

At the moment I am full-time studying my Bachelor of Arts Degree with a double major in History and Anthropology/Sociology. I am endeavouring to enter the museum, research or education field with those courses. I understand it is a competitive field, and with everyone consistently reminding me that it's futile and pathetic to take up those degrees certainly makes me feel depressed. 

I just feel so worthless. I can't find any part-time work in basic retail (largely due to my carer obligations and no relevant experience). I'm so worried about my future as everyone says I was foolish to pursue history, although I'm taking up a number of valuable volunteer experience. Next year I'm studying part-time (owing to my carer duties) and will simultaneously take a Cert 3 in Health Administration as a backup plan. I just feel as though I'm a complete failure and won't mount to anything. 

Sincerely, 

Courtney. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Feeling lost and unsure what to do.

Welcome @CourtneyDavies6 to these forums!

Thank you for sharing some of your story. There are people from all walks of life here.

Having read your post, I can see why you may feel down. However, have you considered voluntary work to be highly regarded on your resume/CV? Having experience as a carer speaks much to your character and inner values. Employers often look at this. 

In terms of what your studied, you have opened yourself to many opportunities. The education sector will never be FULL. You can be guaranteed there will always be work in education. If you remain a carer, I guess the flexibility of working casually in education would be more suitable. Sometimes, it's not so much what you studied, but the skills attained during the course of your studies which count. 

Im just putting ideas out. Ultimately it is your choice. Just please don't think you've ruined your life. You are very early on in your working life. Sit down and brainstorm the qualities/skills you have developed as a carer and working voluntarily. 

Also, the world is in a crisis surrounding employment due to covid. It does not reflect your ability to obtain paid employment.

There are good things to come,

BPDSurvivor

Hi @CourtneyDavies6 .

Employment's a tricky subject. I notice it's an issue for a lot of us here on these forums, but nobody ever seems to have any solutions, unfortunately. It seems that, unless you have friends/family who are willing and able to set you up with a job that suits you, there isn't much hope. The mental health system doesn't step in and help if you can't get it from your own social circle.

Things might get better in the future - if you can trust the government (big 'if'!) There's talk of them creating/adding a new program to the system to assign jobs - suitable jobs - to unemployed people. At there's also talk of them massively bumping up manufacturing in this country. I know this mightn't sound relevant to you, but if you think about it, it may well work to your advantage. Some of the currant museum workers may rather be factory workers, and they will (hopefully) be reassigned to fill the new manufacturing jobs the government is going to create, which will create employment openings in museums for people like yourself.

@CourtneyDavies6  Another welcome from me.

I must admit, I did a WOW reading your post. You sound extremely busy and motivated. Most definitely not a failure. I have every hope your life will count for so much.

I won’t go into the employment side of things, I see others have addressed it, and know better than I do.

Take care.

Hi @CourtneyDavies6 ,

I can understand where your coming from, as I am in a similar situation in unable to gain employment. I have Community Sector qualifications and gained extra qualifications after losing my sight to try and gain a better chance of gaining employment, but to no avail. I find it frustrating that I am either over qualified or am unable to meet the essential selection criteria, as I can no longer drive a motor vehicle. 

With all this going on I do not consider myself a failure, but the employers are missing out on an enthusiastic and motivated person. So in the mean time I have decided to apply to University and gain a degree and go into advocating for people in our positions.

@CourtneyDavies6 You have a wide range of experiences and skills already and all that is valuable in moving forward. I like to believe that if we do what we feel passionately about then avenues open up in the employment sector along the way. It may be starting from the ground up but if we do what we love then that should not be an issue. As for working in the education field - I do that and started much like you with a double major in Sociology followed by a Grad Dip in Social Research and A TAFE course in community welfare (won't mention the exact course here) both in the same year. It was an extremely long and hard year but I got through both. I first worked in both research and in a Women's Shelter - both part-time so I was satisfying both my passions. I then went on to study education and began as a Social Science teacher (HASS now in the Australian curriculum). I soon moved into primary school with short term contracts to fill positions and that is where I have stayed. For me it was a perfect fit - I could work with kids and do something I was passionate about. 

Why am I telling you all this - that is simple ...throughout our lives things change, evolve and our focus and passions vary but the underlying sense of who we are and what we want to do in this world can be satisfied when we are happy in our work because that is what we want to do - I would say do not give up on your dreams nor settle for less than you want unless it will get you to where you want to go. Once you have finished your BA you will need to do a further course in education but if that is the direction you want to go then there are plenty of opportunities in that field. Having a research background behind you will certainly help if you want to then undertake further study and being in the anthropolgy field (if that is the direction you wish to go) will need research skills.

From what I have read though you are a motivated and enthusiastic worker in the many places you volunteer - and it is a wide range that needs varying skills across each sector so you are also adjustable and reliable and they definitely count in any job. 'Worthless' is not a term that comes to mind at all for you Hon - inspiring and driven do more readily. Ignore those that want to crush your dreams because it is only you that has to live your life and know what you want out of it. Keep focussed, keep working and above all follow your passions - you are not a failure ...in-fact I have a feeling you will succeed in anything you wish to do and hope that one day we hear just that from you. Heart

Ditto @Zoe7 @Karli ! Totally agree!

@Karli , I particularly like how you are able to see beyond what others may deem a 'disability'. That's powerful!

BPDSurvivor

Hello @Karli ,

Happy World Sight Day today! 8th October 2020.

For those who don't know, World Sight Day was established 20 years ago to raise awareness of blindness and vision impairment. 

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance