Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Bipolar depression

It’s so hard out here @GezzaP. There isn’t enough services for the size of the town. But it’s what you get when you’re rural. 

I did try one of those type of meds before and it did work but I spent a lot of time around smokers and caved. I’m not sure if I can use them now I’m on so many other meds. 

It’s good you have a GP and psychiatrist. I hope you can find a psychologist. Mine has been really good. My psychiatrist is amazing but she is through the MH team at the hospital so I can only see her until I’m discharged from Comm Health. 

Im glad you are enjoying chatting. It’s good when people understand. 

Sorry don’t know if my last message went through so rewriting it. Glad you have a good psychologist. I will try to find one. It’s a pity you can only see your psychiatrist when you’re in hospital.

I take lots of meds too but can take stop smoking tablets. Last time I was on them I stopped smoking for 6 months. I take an antimania tablet and a sedative which is also a mild antidepressant. The problem I have with antidepressant is that they make me manic. Do you suffer from mania?

When I’m depressed I don’t want to get out of bed. Sleep is the only escape. I am retired si don’t have work to get up for. Do you work?

Yeah I get mania @GezzaP. But being BP 2 it’s only mild. It lasts for a couple of days and I don’t go completely off the rails. 

Im on a mood stabiliser, anti-psychotic and a mild antidepressant/anti anxiety. 

We aren’t suppose to mention the names of meds. 

We are still trying to find the right balance of which meds will stabilise me. My mania has been fairly under control but not the depression. 

I get the bed thing. I usually end up back in there most days. Yes I do work and it has been a great distraction. I work a weird roster it’s made up of day shifts and nightshifts. All are 12.5 hr shifts. I do them all in 4 or 5 days then have 4 or 5 days off. 

I like the routine that work gives me. It’s a reason to get up and not focus on my thoughts. 

Lucky you mild mania and under control. If I get bad mania I can end up psychotic. 
Those are odd hours. Do you cope ok with night shifts? Sounds like you work in mining sorry if that’s too nosy. Glad work gives you a focus and distraction.

One of my manias I did hear voices which was a bit concerning. @GezzaP 

I do reasonably ok with night shifts. Yep you’re right. I’m a truckie. 

Yes I have heard voices and imagined a dog was attacking me. Scary isn’t it? I thought given your hours you worked in mining. I was detained and the police came. It was frightening.

I bet that was scary @GezzaP. It was so odd to hear voices.

Did you use to work in mining? Is that how you picked it.

Hi @GezzaP, I have bipolar too, but I don’t get the full blown mania, it does sound scary though. I think smoking is pretty common among those with BP, my late uncle was apparently BP and was a heavy smoker. I have to be careful with AD too, I am particularly prone to mixed episodes more so than the pure hypo mania (that I used to get). I had a really bad mixed episode earlier this year, I thought it wasn’t going to end, but thankfully it did, I did need PRN to ease it off, and help me sleep.

I hope you find the forums supportive and you find healing in connection 💖🫂

Thank you for your support. What is AD? Mixed bipolar must be tough. My mania doesn’t usually last long now with the medication.

Yeah it was scary especially as it was my first episode. 
I picked that you worked in mining by the length of shifts and days on and days off which I have heard about. I never worked in mining. I was a university lecturer.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance