Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

GezzaP
Senior Contributor

Bipolar depression

I have bipolar disorder 1. Currently I am experiencing depression. I am totally immobilised and can’t get motivated. Can’t take anti-depressants because they cause mania. Any suggestions?

59 REPLIES 59

Re: Bipolar depression

Hi @GezzaP 

Welcome to forums. I hope you find it a really supportive community like I have. 

I have Bipolar 2 and currently in a depressive episode myself. I have no motivation either. So please just know that I do understand.

What I’m trying to do is spend some time in the sun. It does help me feel a little better. I also try to write myself a list of things that need to be done and try and tick off at least one a day. 

I also know that eating healthy also helps. A suggestion is to have frozen meals in the freezer that can just be microwaved to help with that. It saves trying to find the motivation to cook. 

Finding something that helps with self care is also beneficial. I try to watch a movie or try do some diamond art. 

I hope that you may come out of it soon. It’s a horrible place to be sitting. 

Thinking of you

Captain24

Thank you for responding. You have my support if you have bipolar too. It sucks doesn’t it. I have food that I need to cook. I will do that - I will make myself do it. I just feel so terrible and frustrated at myself. Can’t get out of my low. Makes me angry at myself. I’m also a smoker and am trying to stop, but not today. Oh well look after yourself.

What is diamond arts?

I’m a smoker too @GezzaP. I’ve tried to stop a few times but I just can’t. I find with the depressive episodes it’s harder. I hope you can make yourself a decent meal. 

Diamond art is kind of like paint by numbers but it’s little dots you stick on instead of painting. They give you something similar to a canvas and you put the dots on the corresponding number or symbol. 

Oh so you understand about smoking. I cooked myself a meal but undercooked the meat a little. Thanks for the explanation on diamond art. Have you tried cognitive behaviour therapy? My psychiatrist thinks this might help me but I’m very shy and reluctant to talk.

Yeah, I understand! I know it’s an expensive, horrible habit but I don’t know how to change it @GezzaP.

I haven’t tried CBT but a lot of people have and said that it helped. I’m out in country in a small town so nowhere here has a CBT program. When my psychologist has worked through my issues she may introduce into my sessions. 

I keep trying to stop smoking. Lasted 48 last time. 
oh you are in a small town that must be hard! But your psychologist will know about cognitive behaviour and if they think it will help you then they will probably try it.

I am in Adelaide but it’s hard to get in to see a psychologist. Besides I don’t know if I can change my behaviour and thought patterns.

It’s really hard to get into anyone around here @GezzaP. Even a GP app takes 5 weeks if you are lucky. My psychologist was new to town and affiliated with my GP so that was really lucky. 

I get that it’s hard to change thought patterns. I don’t know if I can do it either. 

I’ve tried patches to stop smoking but I kept smoking with them on so I guess they didn’t work! 😂 I even tried hypnotherapy. When I get my old Case Manager back maybe she will refer me to a professional to help. 

Do you have a support team to help you through? 

I am using Zyban tablets to try to stop smoking. They block the nicotine receptors in the brain. But it’s hard to break the habit isn’t it. Patches don’t work for me either. I have a GP and a psychiatrist. That’s my support team. Wow 5 weeks to get in to see GP that’s terrible. I can usually get a phone appointment with GP within a few days. Hope you are feeling a bit better. I know I really appreciate chatting.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance