Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Morning Tea: Celebrating World Refugee Day 🗺️ // Fri 18th June, 11 AM-11:30AM AEST

Thank you all who have participated in our morning tea chat today @NatureLover @Anastasia @Appleblossom 

Before we go, I just want to say that like other significant days and events that we have been celebrating and acknowledging on the forums, this will not be the end of the conversation or our support for people from refugee, migrant or asylum seekers background!  We do hope that today’s event has given all of us some food for thought Heart 

Thanks again everyone! 

Re: Morning Tea: Celebrating World Refugee Day 🗺️ // Fri 18th June, 11 AM-11:30AM AEST

Hi @WIP
It's been so cold eh! What sort of tea/coffee do you usually like to have?  

While the morning tea has finished please feel free to go through the threads/questions and let us know your thoughts Smiley Happy 

Thank you for the link to refugees stories @Peonies  I look forward to reading through some of them later on this afternoon.

I just had a quick look at the 'statistics' tab and the numbers blew me away.......just shocking.

Hope I'm not to ride in saying this - but it's bloody freezing!! @Peonies 

If I'm out at a cafe I enjoy a macchiato, as too much milk can make me feel ill some times. Or I'm happy with a skinny flat white.

I look forward to reading through the thread - thank you

https://readingaustralia.com.au/essays/the-boat/

@Peonies 

Smiley Happy

A book I bought to support the cause.  We had a boat person at mother's boarding house back in late 1970s/  Always on the edge ...

Hi all,

Great to have this discussion on refugees. Sorry to have missed this, but just wish to have an input on this dicussion as I had been involved in working with refugees.

I would have previously volunteered for home visit program to female refugees who had entered the country legally through UNHCR, as well as chatted with a few youths from a different NGO who had arrived to this country by boat.  

With so much issues on boat people in this country, I just wish to share my piece of opinion.

Issue

Australian government: They preferred refugees to enter legally through the UN as the only option. Boat people are not safe nor legal. They did not have proper documentation and may pose a threat to national security.

UN: They criticised the Australian government for breaching human rights laws in their response to boat people and trapping them in offshore detention centre with poor condition despite the government spending more than a billion on offshore detention.

Boat people: Asylum seekers who are so desperate to seek safety that they paid large sum of money to traffickers who placed them in small boat and travelled illegally, against all odds despite safety issue and breaching human rights laws, to get these people to Australia. Those who managed to arrive safely will be sent to offshore detention centre and in best case scenario, will be given a temporary visa of up to 5 years with no possibility of transitioning to citizenship. 

Refugees: Those who seek help through the UN from their home countries and offered visa to Australia are provided with free airline ticket and accommodation in Australia, full benefits of social services including centrelink and medicare, visa leading to citizenship, as well as further offers to have family members migrate into the country legally.

Possible Alternative Outcome

We have a number of protests here with many Australians supporting and welcoming boatpeople into the country. But placing people on small boats in the hands of illegal trafficker who extorts large amount of money and breach human rights laws by ignoring safety is not the answer.  

The Australian government could have offered that billions of dollars currently spent on offshore detention centres to the UN for them to expand their resources in terms of staffs, number of offices in war torn countries, processing facilities, educating asylum seekers on the correct way for migration, etc. such that the UN will be able to accelerate the process of reviewing and granting visas to these asylum seekers. With this visa, refugees are able to enter the country legally with all the full benefits that the Australian government including free airline ticket, accommodation and easy transition to citizenship should they wish to.

It's just the government, UN and boat people are not seeing eye to eye, so it ends up in a big mess. If the government would have placed more trust and collaborated well with the UN, they would have succeeded in assisting these refugees in their migration process legally without the need for boatpeople. The government may also choose to offer an increase in refugee intake now that they are all legally processed by the UN.

Refugees are a big issue worldwide and hopefully all the world governments and international aid agencies are able to work well together in resolving war conflicts as well as taking a more humanely approach to asylum seekers and refugees.

@Lilaca @Peonies @Appleblossom @WIP @Anastasia 

Ive just read through this thread. I think it's such an awesome idea. Unfortunately, I was at work and could not join, but I do look forward to any events such like, in the future!

Thanks @Peonies  for this awesome initiative!

BPDSurvivor

Hi 
@pipinya @NatureLover @Lilaca @bipolarbunny @Anastasia @girasole @Peonies 

I know I can look it up, but would anyone like to share the history behind WORLD REFUGEE DAY?

Why/How was it first established?

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance