Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Going off alcohol

Yes, I agree that you have to want to stop. I did and have only had 1 drink since November! I am finding that my anxiety is lessened since my old drinking days. So, it's been a positive change for me. Thanks for your message @Makeitstop. I wish you well

I have used alcohol to self med for as long as I can remember ,this has not helped my recovery from mental illness but has got me by, this may sound like an excuse but I have suffered in silence for many years and only recently sort help, AA did not work for me long term as I dont get the higher power thing, I had enough catholic guilt to last a life time. Smart recovery is more suited to me, still I question the point and manage myself the best I can, without support I will fail as alcohol is always a short term fix, I know how to use very carefully, sounds strange but my shrink told me I am high functioning, my mind is killing me, a slow nasty death not the alcohol.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yeah AA is not for everyone. Can I ask what you mean by Smart recovery? @Matt12
I believe that many intelligent ppl with mental illness function well as it helps you with insight. I like that view rather than our intelligence is killing us. Is it really the mi killing us slowly?

What do you mean by smart recovery?
Can you tell me what this is and how it works for you?

I know my drinking is a 'crutch' and when I finally saw it for the 'beast' it was giving up the first timewas as easy as letting it go. I find it incredibly hard to forgive myself and my stupidity for starting again but as I mentioned I didn't realize I was an addict so thought I would be ok.
Oh to be able to enjoy a drink because it's enjoyable and to have an off button or to be able to drink moderatly....

SMART RECOVERY, self management and recovery training, CBT based,SOBER, stop, observe, breath, evaluate,recover. then the cost benefit analysis, I do this and continue with self meds, without support all the work is usless, their is also ACT, accept your internal experiece and be present, chose a valued direction, take action. Must skinks use one or a compination of both as they are closely link, my head goes back to reality and strips down both to a load of "mindfullness" 

Former-Member
Not applicable

My pdoc told me to stop drinking but no advice about how so thanks for sharing about ways to recover.

Speaking as someone who no longer drinks alcohol at all it has been my experience that doctor's have told me I should stop drinking and even Ministers of religion have told me I should stop drinking and my family has hinted at my behaviour has not been very good and perhaps I should consider what I'm doing but in the end it was up to me. I had to answer the question,what do I want? I know others say I must give up. I recognise that I should give up. I know it would be a good idea if I did give up. But unless I have the intention to give up myself nothing else is of any use.
My friend says that the answer to life's problems is very simple. Find out what you want to do and then go and do it.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi Pan. I wish life decisions were so easy. Thanks for your words.

I have had only a total of dozen drinks over the past 6 months so I barely drink nowadays. I realise that I can do this quit alcohol thing. It is hard to find myself left with my reality. My MI etc. I am hoping to find some recovery with a group session at my local psych hospital. My life is closing in around me so it gives me a glimpse of hope. My goal is to stay well and out of hospital.

I think there's other threads about recovery from mi. To me it's hard to accept it. Identify with it. Acceptance is another goal I have.

I am hoping with recovery will come some clarity of thought. Clarity to decide on life matters re family employment, study, etc. I know it's all about balance but I don't feel in control of what goes on the scales.

Sorry to barge in and rant. Thanks for reading

Hello @pan, @Matt12, @Makeitstop, @Former-Member

Hello @Former-Member, how are you today ?? been thinking about you , hope you are ok

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Shaz51 , I am here today. Thanks for asking. I'm going much better than I was. I have a lot of recovery to focus on. See my psych this week. It's time i worked through my stuff. I'm ready. Taken me decades but it's my time now. My meds were increased but that's helping. I'm hoping to sort out my physical and mental health. Whatever it takes. My little family is going well. How's yourself?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance