Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

beccyd
New Contributor

DUI. Obviously feel like a piece of poo. Just seeing if anyone else in a similar situation.

Hi all. Completely absolutely realise that there will possibly and most likely be judgement with this post.

I recently went through a booze bus, believing I was under the limit but I wasn’t. With the new drink driving laws and as I had a prior when I was 20 (I’m now 30). A month ago I lost my license. I’m still waiting on a court date to see what my fate is with that. I’ve got a 9 year old daughter. I work as a disability support worker and have lost half my hours because I can’t drive my clients to and from.

I am not looking for sympathy. I’m just wondering if there is anyone else in a similar circumstance and how you are doing?

Thanks so much in advance and I apologise if I’ve offended anyone as I know it’s a completely huge mess up that I’ve done and many people and families have been effected by drunk drivers.

Thanks again.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: DUI. Obviously feel like a piece of poo. Just seeing if anyone else in a similar situation.

@beccyd Hi beccyd firstly I am not going to judge you I am far from perfect to judge anyone. As I dont drink anymore due to my medication I am not in the same position as you. I will say this however when I did drink I never drove afterwards I made sure that I didnt. Grab a cab or an uber get a friend to drive you or simply dont drink. There is no excuse and you know that which is why I am not going to judge you as you are doing a good job of it yourself.

Re: DUI. Obviously feel like a piece of poo. Just seeing if anyone else in a similar situation.

Hi @beccyd

I think we have all done things in the past that we are not proud of. Nobody is perfect. There is no judgement from me. I think the more important thing is that we learn from our mistakes. If you can learn from what you have done and not repeat it, then I think that is all we can do.

I hope you have support around you for you and your daughter.

All the best Heart

Hi @beccyd

As @greenpea and @Snowie have said, nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes.

I don't know if others on the Forums have had a similar experience, but there are members who have spoken about giving up alchohol, such as @TAB and @utopia. There is also a discussion about alchoholism here if you are interested, although it might not be relevant for you.

If you haven't had a chance to take a look around, there are also some social threads where you can introduce yourself or share the highlight of your day.

Welcome once again and please keep posting Smiley Happy

Hi @beccyd I had a spate of duis 30yrs ago. Well there was a law then that for 2 offences in under 3yrs meant having ti go to alcohol clinic getting forced to provide a blood sample etc for liver enzymes and doing a huge questionnaire. Turns out my blood was ok just not how I answered the questions. Because I thought rhey were going to help not punish me. Anyway one of two offences was while riding a pushbike on a footpath.. anyhoo it all came back to bite me. Court records lost etc made to go back to alcohol clinic again years later. People best not dealt with. They were evil.
Anyway had a clean record since then cos I really was at mercy of system . I am more careful now. Well I still drink. Just not when driving

Anyway @beccyd sorry for going on. I hope things turn out for the best. No point in being hard on yourself

Hi @beccyd. Absolutely no judgement from me. There but for faith of god go I. (Or something like that).
I gave up drinking at the end of March this year. Fingers crossed that I can keep it up.
There were many times when I drove and was most likely over the limit. I've had my child in the car with me. So many times. Just never caught. Yes we all do things that we regret. Those of us who drink too much or have other addictions - possibly have lots of things to regret, that maybe those without addictions wouldn't have done.
Unfortunately or fortunately you were caught. These new drink driving laws are tough. Over the limit - automatic loss of license.
Learn from your mistake. Explain to your daughter that adults don't always get things right and even adults have to deal with the consequences. Just like children.
I hope you can learn to move on from this.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance