Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: ABC's Mental As

Hi guys, it's really interesting hearing your thoughts on ABC's Mental As. I was actually a guest speaker the Saturday at the beginning on the week on ABC News Radio talking about my bipolar and of course stigma.

the interview went for longer than expected and I was really happy with the questions they asked - this is obviously co-ordinated based on rules of radio etc...

I of course had some self preservation and left a lot of things out, but I had great feedback and it was really exciting to be part of mental health week.

Re: ABC's Mental As

Hi, i don't think there is necessarily any link between mental illness and suicide any more than any other (severe) health condition is linked with suicide.  The difference is that from the day a person starts to develop mental illness they get the cold shoulder and cruelty (to whatever degree - sometimes severe cruelty, such as the mental health system dishes out) - they never get anything else.  Any other health condition attracts sympathy or empathy, one would hope, and I think that's generally true.

the causes of stigma tend to be misinformation and ignorance.  of course, it doesn't help that the 'professionals' lump psychopaths and sociopaths in with all the nice, normal decent people with mental illnesses.  and it doesn't help that most psychopaths try to pass themselves off as having paranoid schizophrenia in order to get lesser penalties for the crimes they commit, and the psychiatrists mostly believe them.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance