Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lunar
Senior Contributor

**Trigger warning** What are your experiences with a Complex PTSD diagnosis and treatment?

Hello Everyone

Just wanting to start a discussion on Complex PTSD and what it is like seeking treatment, the stigma that is associated, or the difficulties this diagnosis creates in life?

It would also be useful for people to share some some self-help tips to help people self-care and manage their symptoms?

There seems to be a lack of research and knowledge about Complex PTSD, so I thought it would be useful to start talking about it.

Lunar

58 REPLIES 58

Re: What are your experiences with a Complex PTSD diagnosis and treatment?

Hi Lunar,

Doesn't this discussion start with that it is not even recognised in DSM-5 and ICM-10, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just feel I am in the too hard basket. Trauma informed practicioners (especially complex trauma) are far and few between and I would think there is not much funding for the people who try to make it more public and offer support.

I have often questioned if I am mentally ill as my reactions are only a result of my history. I struggle with CBT and other approaches as they make me feel even more worthless. I struggle every day with the question whether I am worth it to be in this world.

I have worked hard and now have great professionals helping me, but learning how to help myself 24/7 is a difficult. Asking for help and then running away because it hurts too much.

Glad you started this thread.

Hello @Former-Member,

Yes, from what I know it is not recognised and most people are wrongly diagnosed with BPD which can be very unhelpful.

That does seem to big a huge issue I agree, thank you so much for sharing all of that. I can understand how CBT would be extremely difficult as well as the pattern of asking for help but also running as it is too hurtful.

I can understand what you mean about questioning whether it's a mental illness or a history, but that history has such an impact on your mental health greatly.

Thanks alot Heart

Hi @Lunar

What is complex PTSD?  Is it trauma from childhood sexual abuse? I don't know

Hi Lunar,

How would you diagnose complex PTSD?

My official diagnosis is "depression and anxiety" and was changed from Bipolar 2. People ask me what's wrong in my life that I am sad and what I am afraid of living in a "safe place". I give them bullshit about chemical imbalances in my brain, which I believe is wrong, I just think and feel different. And coming from a background that looks happy from the outside, how can I suggest I had a difficult past. And delving into the difficult past is not really something I like to do with anyone, let alone an outsider who questions why I have changed so much.

I am angry to carry the scars and the hurt inside.

@BlueBay complex ptsd is chronic repeated and/or prolonged trauma over which the person has no control.This can be the same type of trauma happening again and again, as well as two or more different traumatic experiences. Childhood SA, ongoing domestic violence, etc. can all contribute.

@Former-Member

I agree it is very difficult carrying the hurt and scars. I have also been dealing with Complex PTSD and find the mask I wear is very similar to yours. You can't explain to anyone that what you see on the outside is not what is beneath the surface. Trying to be happy and upbeat - especially at work - just doesn't mesh with the inside that seems to die a little bit more each day. I am lucky to have a great GP and psychologist that are supporting me but the sessions with the psych often make me feel so much worse! There is so much to deal with that most days you don't know where to start. Other days it is so overwhelming that you just want it to stop. You can't explain it to anyone because you don't trust anyone enough to let them in. Your own little world seems to get smaller and smaller (and more isolating) every day. 

Everyone copes with 'bad things' happening in their life differently but when there is so much to deal with it just adds to the hopeless feeling.

My thoughts are with you and although I don't know your exact situation I empathise with your struggle. Heart

I would self diagnose as having Complex PTSD and I have muddled along trying to determine and then heal the various aspects and abuses an traumas I have experienced.

I think a BIG issue turns on the questions regarding the reality of the trauma .. rather than the ol Freudian notion it was phantasy.

I guess I have collecte files and put them away and got on with life .. but they provide an evidence base for my experience .. its not all in the mind ..etc

@Appleblossom

having a chat with @BlueBay on another thread which would probably be valuable here also. Will check in with her first and get back to you

Zoe7 xxx

@Zoe7

I am pretty sure that I am suffering complex PTSD.

@Appleblossom @BlueBay

I know I am suffering complex ptsd - clinically? diagnosed.

How are you both going - don't want to trigger anything - ok to continue here?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance