Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The Fear of Dying Alone

@TheVorticon you're welcome to chat in here, it's not garbage to express how you're feeling. If anything it helps people get to know you and form a connection. Hope you had a great Anzac Day as well. For both yourself and @TheRenegade345, have you read much of Neil Strauss? Ignoring the 'tricks' of some of his advice in The Game, the main narrative that came across was that tlearning all of that knowledge about social engineering and dating only made Neil realise that the key to being interesting is to be interested, and that by developing his own passions, his self confidence grew. A lot of people miss it, but he mentions near the end of the book that to meet his then girlfriend, he had to abandon all the ideas he had about 'pick up' culture, and just be the best version he could be of himself. That relationship didn't last too much longer after the book launched, but his follow up to it, The Truth, was more him reflecting on his own bad habits socially, and addressing how his childhood experiences had shaped that behaviour. Fascinating author.

Back to that earlier question, @TheRenegade345, Let It Be is such a beautiful song! I find it tough to choose a favourite album because they matured across their discography. Seeing Paul live must've been an incredible experience, were you near the front of stage or further back in the crowd? 

Hey @Ali11 

I have another year and a half to go so I am close but still a long way off at the same time.

I do agree that the 'pick up' culture is a bit ridiculous. It contrasts with my values and principles actually. My teen years have shaped me today. To be in this mess that I am. I went into the city today and I was surrounded by relationships. 

I felt absolutely pathetic. I try to be the best version I can be with hobbies, study, and interests. But its never enough.

I sat up in the crowd when I saw Paul.

Sorry for the short message. I feel like absolute crap right now

I know what you mean by that @TheRenegade345! A year and a half goes pretty quick, but it feels like it's an eon when you are thinking about waiting that long to hit a goal. Imagine how you'll feel when it's done though, even small achievements feel good, so something that is that much work will feel great. How are you going with motivating yourself on the assignments?

Yeah, it's understandable why people might look to that culture for answers to begin with, but a lot of it won't get the results most people want. We all want to be loved, and lying or manipulating people doesn't get you that, which seems to be a flaw in a lot of the teaching within that community. It's great to hear you have good values and principles. It can be tough juggling that with expectations at times though, right? One lesson that is helpful to remind yourself of is that even people in relationships aren't always happy, some of them just have someone else to be miserable with. Others do find someone who uplifts them and helps them go after their dreams. Have you heard of the book The Courage To Be Disliked? Reviews have said that's a good book for letting go of expectations and not letting the way others treat you become/affect your identity & self esteem. So many books out there to read with great advice, but it's often only a paragraph or a sentence that can alter our perspectives.

You're not pathetic at all! I know that's tough to believe from someone who doesn't know you that well, but already in here you've shown yourself to be intelligent, articulate, thoughtful, a romantic, a musician, someone driven enough to devote over a year to study... You might not see all of that yourself, but others can. Speaking of finding love, Tony Robbins has a video on how he met his wife, he said that he used to approach dating like most people do in their late teens/early twenties and just wanted a relationship (and any would do), so he kept either being rejected because he approached women that he had nothing in common with, or only having short relationships with women he met because something would come up that showed they weren't right for each other. He realised he'd been taking a scattered approach because he hadn't really asked himself what kind of person he wanted to date. He was really specific in his goal setting in other aspects of life, so he applied that to a future relationship. He wrote out 5 or 6 pages of every possible trait he hoped for in a soul mate, then everything he didn't want. Then he went over and over the list slowly removing things that weren't 100% essential. Then he sat down and wrote out a list of the things he would need to be or embody to attract the soul mate he dreamed of. Once he had that list, he spent over a year not dating, just focusing on designing his life so he could be the man that attracted his soul mate. One day he was on a train with his now wife and he read out the list to himself and realised she was the soul mate he had dreamed of. Then he proposed. Quite a modern romantic story, but the key was him deciding who he wanted to be, or who he had to be, to win the heart of the woman he wanted to marry. Anyway, long story, but if any of it helps you then it's worth sharing Smiley LOL

What other hobbies do you have? How amazing to see Paul live. Did he play many of the Beatles catalogue, or did he stick ot his solo stuff and later career with Wings? Hope you're feeling better today!

Hi there 🙂 

What about work? Can you work at the moment, able to? I always end up getting to know my colleagues, one so much that he became my boyfriend. It might have taken over a year for us to warm up to each other - but it can happen!

And appearance - you'll never have to worry about it. You will find someone and love you for who you are! I'm a fairly average, tall, but have some extra weight Caucasian female and my boyfriend is quite a small Asian... Body image does not matter in the eyes of love. 

I hope you have found your way out to meet more people 🙂 X and hope that you find peace within yourself 

@Ali11 

I am not doing terribly great in motivating myself for assignments. Its really all the energy I have to give to study. I don't really do any of the weekly readings but I will do them if I have to. I hve a document that was provided to me by my university that makes it easier for me to get extensions. All else I probably would never get anything done in time. 

I think we have sold the idea of dating and the dating culture to young people in the wrong way. It's all about outward appearances, the clothes you wear etc, and while that that is important initially, what keeps people together? Personality. Values. Principles. It is what a lot of people my age lack and yet it doesn't seem to matter that much to anyone that I have a good understanding of who I am as a person and the kind of person I want to be. Isn't that important to anyone? Not anyone I have ever met. 

I feel like that I have done that, building myself up. I have been doing that for 7 years. How many more people have spent doing that my age? I don't know what else I have to do anymore.

Paul played a mix of all three. There were songs he played I had never heard and I think they were his solo material. He did play Being For the Benefit of Mr Kite! which was a left field one. That is off Sgt Pepper but I don't know how many people are aware of it. 

One hobby that I have been developing is reading works on philosophy, particualry the works of Stoics like Marcus Aurelius

@Nycra 

Unfortunately work is not a place for me to make friends. It is the very worst place for me to be at and I need all the mental energy I can muster just to get through it. 

I hope you are right about appearance. Because I am actually 6"2, broad shouldered, and someone who is athletic and does boxing. So physically I have some attributes but maybe it is my personality which is awful which is why I get rejected... or maybe I am ugly... it has to be one or the other. 

So HeadSpace just rejected me and said I can't participate in a group. It is because I have already done it before and they want to give others a chance. But my problem is that I applied for it in December and they wait until less than a week before it starts to say I can't do it.

That's brutally unfair.

Motivation is one of the greatest challenges facing all of us @TheRenegade345  Smiley Happy There's a quote that is a good reminder, "It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat and waited for things to happen to them. Rather they went out and happened to things."

it's not always easy, especially when you're a romantic who wants love, but it sounds like you're doing some great things to be the right person when you do meet someone who sees you for you. Finding love can be tough. You're right about personality, values, principles, being more likely to keep a relationship together, but it's often fun, relaxed, playfulness that opens the door. In the dating world now, many women (especially in your age group) receive so many messages that it's difficult to see who is a good guy and who isn't. Being patient and not writing someone off if they don't respond in the way you hoped initially can help bring down some barriers, it shows confidence if you're not upset when someone doesn't want the same thing as you and sometimes when we've been hoping for something for a while, it influences our behaviour and how we react to rejection. You seem like a great guy, and being 6'2" & in good shape will definitely help with the initial when you do meet someone. Be patient, keep focusing on being the best you that you can be and things will get better Heart

So cool that Paul played a range of his catalogue! Hearing Being For the Benefit of Mr Kite! live would be amazing, Sgt Peppers was one of the most played albums in my childhood home.

Philosophy is a fascinating subject to explore. Meditations is a great book. If you're reading some classics, have you read much Ovid? Seneca is also a good read if you're interested in Stoicism.

@Ali11 

That is true. It does feel disheartening when things like the HeadSpace situation happen which brings me down. It is another road block that I keep crashing into.

There are people who are amazed I have never had a relationship. Probably because I have such a strong sense of self.

I have definitely heard of the attention women get on dating sites. However, I would pose a rhetorical question though. I have seen, first hand, some of the profiles of guys where they have barely anything on it and yet women responded to that. That is something we will never find the answer to but I am curious why though. 

But, the fact women do get a lot of responses on dating sites is one of the reasons why I decided to stop using them. I don't think I have the energy to compete with others but also paying ridiculous amounts of money to use them. It puts a strain on your finances as a student. It is also an awkward way of meeting people. I can be fun and playful but no one really gives me a chance, so its hard not to get upset at getting rejected. I actually don't know how you could not be upset at getting rejected. I think you may need to explain that to me.

He also played a Day In the Life but towards the end he segued into Give Peace A Chance. A great song but my dad and I were really looking forward to the ending of the aforementioned song. It is the most famous ending in all popular music.

I haven't actually. I only got started on Meditations recently. I tend to read the writings of Caesar, Herodotus, Tacitus or Thucydides and people like them.

How was your day today @TheRenegade345

It can be disheartening when situations like what you've experienced with HeadSpace happen. There may be reasons behind the selection process that we don't know, however, we can easily think that it has to do with ourselves. It sounds like you've been a participant in the past, so it must have been a positive experience for you. 

I don't think anyone can understand the world of online dating, so you have done well to navigate it for that period of time. It may be because we "choose" by swiping, it downgrades the feeling of rejection, because we aren't really seeing the person behind the picture. It really is an awkward way of meeting people. 

Found this interesting infographic in an old folder and thought you might enjoy it @TheRenegade345. Hope you're having a fun saturday Smiley Happy

All iPhone 12-10-2015 978.JPG

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance