Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tatsinda
Senior Contributor

Running out of steam

Hi - I've been with my husband for around 17 years, and he's been depressed since before I met him. We only figured out it was a clinical illness around 7 or 8 years ago, and he was extremely defensive about getting a diagnosis. He finally went to see a doctor 2.5 years ago and went on meds. He has recently started seeing a good psychologist. For me, it's been a massive draining journey with him, getting him to see he needed help and then helping him access it. We had a lot of unhelpful relationship patterns build up over the years where I was basically enabling him in his distorted reality. I have had counselling myself which has really helped me put new boundaries in place and start looking after myself properly.
We have three young kids and a large part of the battle in recent years has been protecting them from his negativity and judgement, helping him to parent well, covering for him when he is exhausted, and dealing with his guilt tripping me over the time parenting takes me (compared to how much I used to invest in his issues).
On the plus side, when he is well he is great and we have a good marriage. He does want to be well and to be a great husband and father. He has always been able to work and provide for us. And he is prepared to work at getting better, even if he wishes he didn't have to.
But I am feeling really over it all. He wants me to cut him some slack while he works on getting better, but I am sick of putting up with things like rudeness towards me and the kids. We keep having stupid squabbles (we are both tired most of the time which doesn't help) which he escalates to a depressed state where the world is against him.
I wish I could live with someone who is not so negative all the time, who lifts the mood rather than bringing it down, and who was more stable and able to be kinder to themselves and others.
I am 100% committed to my marriage and I do have hope that in time to therapy will bring positive changes, but at the moment, I just feel miserable, and like he thinks because he agreed to get some help, I should just be sucking it up when he is rude.
Thanks for reading, it's good to get that all out!

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Running out of steam

Hi @Tatsinda 

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for sharing your story, I suspect there are alot of carers who can relate to your story.

It sounds like big steps have been taken, not just with your husband finding a good psychologist, but also looking after yourself - seeking help, making boundaries etc.

It's so hard when you know that someone's behaviour isn't "them" as such, but the illness. On one hand you don't want to be treated badly and you want to keep your boundaries, but on the other hand, you know it's their illness causing their behaviour.

It seems like you have both sought out counselling, which is great. Have you been to an appointment together to work on relationship specific matters?

Again, welcome to the forums. Have a look around, make yourself comfortable Smiley Happy & I'm sure other members will have some insights to share - maybe @Cazzie  @Used2Be  and/or @PeppiPatty  will have something to add?

I can relate to much of what you're going through.  My husband was diagnosed about 12 years ago, even though I knew from his behaviour patterns that he was in trouble a good two years beforehand.  Even now my husband spends a lot of his time in denial.

The first thing I'm going to say is that, on a scale of 1 - 5, you come first, then your three children, then your husband.  Sounds harsh doesn't it?  The fact is your husband is now getting help outside the house.  He has counselling and medication.  It's time to look after you and your children.  You don't say whether you work outside the house.  If you don't, use the time he's at work as respite.  Find a support group in your local area, join a craft group, a library - anything that is just for you - so you can find yourself again.  I've found quilting for my creative outlet.  When things used to get too much I'd just sink into a book, sometimes more than one, but since I've found my craft group, built my craft shed and started with my own counseller (this very recent) I now read for pleasure again, instead of as an escape from reality.

This is something I understand really well.  It has taken me 12 years to get counselling just for me.  I had been to see the psychologist with my husband for years.  Not every visit after the first couple of months but certainly at least every second visit.  Even though I now have my own counsellor I still go with my hubby for his psychologist appointments.  The number of times I've wanted to tell my husband to "snap out of it" or "get over it and move on" are just beyond counting.  Frustration levels reach above boiling point.  Anger spikes every time he was rude, either because he'd been drinking or just because he wasn't coping, had to be controlled because arguing with him just made thing worse.  I learned to wait for the next day when sobriety kicked in or for when he was feeling in the mood to talk to broach the subjects that were causing irritation, upset or pain.  While it worked for me this won't necessarily work for you.

Attending appointments with your husband's psychologist is something I thoroughly recommend.  It's easy for him to say that he's told the psychologist the truth but if you're not there you don't really know.  The psychologist should encourage this also.  Firstly it shows your support for your husband but secondly it gives two-way feedback so you both get out, in a neutral space, what you're both going through and helps to sort out coping mechanisms for you to work at together.  Always remember, it's HIS illness but it's YOUR FAMILY'S problem.

These are all solutions that have worked for me.  I hope that being part of these forums you'll be able to find something that will work for you.  It's not an easy path we choose when we love someone with MI.

hi, how are you ?

I'm interested in a coupler of things that Tersinda has written about .it feels like you are saying that your really tired, 100 percent committed but your over it, This sounds like someone who is burned out but. Has good strong upright integrity in your brain.
I like that.

My first exercise of love is to be reasonable, my second is to aid and require others to be reasonable....Tatsinsa you are doing a fantastic job of being reasonable! You absolutely are right in feeling peed off and frustrated, because it's exhausting work being a parent to 3 children and a carer as well as a loving wife..
I love cazzie's advice re finding something you can enjoy just for you, and I think sometimes many people struggle with parenting and the necessary changes it brings to adult relationships at different times..so maybe that's not about his mental health but about the pattern of being so invested in his needs..before the children..

He is working on his mental health..big tick and managing to continue to work..

You have been caring for a very long time..it can be hard to see each other as the jewells we fell in love with when life brings up its challenges..

What's something you both enjoy that brings you both to a happier space? Can you listen to your favourite album together or walk every evening or sit under the stars? It is just so hard sometimes because you're probably totally knackered by the end of the day..

Try and get along to some of his appointments and keep being reasonable...and think about whether after 17 years, maybe your worth investing in too and seek out more support for you...

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your thoughtful replies, it's really helpful. You all make some excellent points. I have recently been doing of what you suggest re looking after myself, it is a challenge because two of our kids are not yet school age so I don't get much time to myself, but I have joined a gym with a creche which gives me a chance to clear my head and look after my health. And I have been moving toward finding ways to not let the state of my hubby's health dominate my thinking - trying to put it to one side and get on with my own life, with varying degrees of success!
I think going to counselling is making him feel quite raw, and he's very sensitive at the moment. Which of course clashes with me being over it all a bit! So I need to rethink some of my strategies for communicating with him, plus I've realised that some of the conflict is about different parenting styles we have so there is an opportunity for more communication there.
I hadn't considered attending his appointments, will have a think about that. I can see he is working to implement some of the changes his psychologist has suggested so that is a good sign. He is only meeting her monthly which I don't think is often enough but better than nothing!
I guess one thing I need to remember is that I can discuss things with him and I am not stuck just putting up with things, it's just a matter of picking my battles and timing them well.
Once again, thanks so much for listening and taking the time to reply, it's great to hear from people who get it!

Good on you Tatsinda for being so open to seeing things differently...quite often carers struggle with their own mental health so if you think you'd benefit, why not chat to your GP about whether you would be eligible for referal to a psychologist. Otherwise call your local community health service and ask about cater support groups. I would definitely explore sitting in on an appointment with your hubby if he's open to it, coz then you can ask his psychologist how best to support positively the changes he is working on...take care in the meantime and credit yourself with progress too, 17 years, kids and getting help! Good on you, it will get better but it does take time, especially if he's been unwell for a long time..bit like weight loss..slow and steady works!!!

Hi Cazzie

I have been reading your post and wonder if the underlying problem is alcoholism? Drinking and depression (as well as chronic anxiety) often co-exist. Anyway - YOUR welfare is most important, whether he would admit to the alcoholism or not. I found I needed to detach from my husband when he was acting rudely, either sober or drunk. I have learnt not to get into an argument which only causes further hurt or misunderstandings. My wonderful support group is called "Al-Anon Family Groups" which accepts me as I am - the only requirement for membership is that my husband's drinking has caused me problems and I needed to find a group of people who understood what it is like to live with this. Such a relief to know other members understand! Helpline is 1300 252 666 and website is: www.al-anon.alateen.org/australia

Of course alcohol(ism) is a problem.  Note the brackets!  The pychiatrist most recently attended stopped short of this diagnosis (which wouldn't have been accepted by the patient anyway) and simply put it that he was a "regimented drinker".  This is because he doesn't drink before 4:30 or 5:00pm Monday to Friday.  It's usually lunchtime, or a bit after on weekends though.  Apparently drinking between 6 and 19 standard alcoholic beverages a day doesn't constitute alcoholism in the eyes of this psychiatrist.  He does however go on to say that my DH would be much better off if he stayed sober (ie didn't drink at all).  This of course went over like a lead zeppelin with my DH.  Let's face it, my DH has already stated that if he's given the ultimatum of quit drinking or die he's quite like to die a happy drinker.

As to whether his drinking causes problems - again, of course it do but only for me.  You see, his drinking isn't a problem for him so therefore it can't possibly be one for me.  Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Oh dear, my cynicism is showing this afternoon.  I shall have a nice long chat with my counsellor tomorrow afternoon and hopefully work off some of my discontent.

Hi Cazzie,
You have shown such patience and kindness, it must be so frustrating for you but hopefully, your dh will build a trust with his psych. Perhaps the psych knows no point in tackling addiction until your dh is finding it a problem and wants to consider his drinking as a problem.
In the meantime are you attending any peer support groups for carers? This must be exhausting for you...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance