Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Relationship between trauma & other MI diagnoses

@SCORPION 

Hi Scorpion,

below is a link to an interesting article re PTSD clinical imaging and the conclusions drawn.

From this I hope you'll see that there is actual damage done to key major sections of the brain. This confirms the non volitional nature of the symptoms. No mention of will or strength.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/181/2/102.short

And though this can be a living nightmare please keep in your heart

Hope endures

Rick

Thanks @Rick 

I wonder if there is any/how much variation for childhood cf adulthood trauma? Complex cf non-complex PTSD (if any PTSD is truly not complex).

Have you any further research on this area?

Kind regards,

Kristin

@kristin 

Hi Kristin

Yes there is a lot of difference. Childhood trauma over an extended peiod does permanent damage to cerebral function and the incidence of comorbidity is more prevalent. 

That's not to say it's a worse disorder just different. Researchers seem to be publishing more and more re the difference in an effort to actually get CPTSD recofgnised as a different and separate illness.

Rick

@kristin and @Rick    It would be good if you nice people could explain all this a little more simply for people like me who are not up to all the medical terminology and probably not that bright, (in my case that is). Its all so interesting I would really like to understand it.

Thanks

kenny

@kristin 

Hi Kristin

https://www.istss.org/source/stresspoints/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newsletter.showThisIssue&Issue_ID=73&...

is a link to a scientific journal that talks about the differences between PTSD and CPTSD and symptomology. This is based on developmental trauma. Essentially repeated childhood trauma over an extended period.

https://www.istss.org/source/stresspoints/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newsletter.showThisIssue&Issue_ID=73&...

Is an excellent review of research regarding DTD (developmental trauma disorder?complex ptsd) and other repeated and extended trauma outside of childhood.

They are both very interesting and for me help me understand the condition based behaviours I experience.

There is a subtle indication though that developmental trauma has a more deleterious affect of neural structure and treatability is more fraught due to brain elasticity in childhood and the changes in neural structure caused by repeated and extended trauma. The fact we lose the elasticity in maturity appears to be the main factor. Changes or more precisely malformations become a permanent part of the structure as adults. 

Adult trauma under similar conditions appears to be less of a permanent nature and is more open to therapeutic intervention "restoration of control and power for the traumatized person."

@kenny66 

Hi Kenny.

Just been reading through some of your older posts to get a handle on what your experience has been like.

Sounds like you've been through the wringer. But you've emerged out the other side. So you must be very strong and smart. Stupid people don't have your insight.

Another term for child abuse related CPTSD is Developmental Trauma Disorder. When we are child we are in the very formative stages of development. Our brains are not just growing but they are actually taking form. Getting wired up you might say. The research contends that when a child experiences developmental trauma that is repeated and extended in time certain crucial parts of the wiring process are flubbed. 

I explained to a friend of mine the other day as being a case of some switches are shut off when they should be turned on, and some are turned on they should be shut off. Some switches that should be switchable become stuck in position. This happens because a childs brain is very elastic and can move around alot. But if you repeated the trauma over time you end up with a brain that because it has lost elasticity due to maturity is actually stuck with the wrong switch positions. And that is why it's so hard to treat. 

Other inherent MI conditions that might have remained dormant may well become acute because of the Developmental trauma issue. 

This is the current wisdom regarding child abuse trauma and Complex MI. It's important to recognise that these studies are still in their infancy as CPTSD is only now being recognised by researchers as a separate disorder to PTSD. In the near future I believe we will have a more comprehensive understanding of the model and therefore develope more effective treatments for it.

I hope this last is true

But then again

Hope endures

Rick

Ps

This article I found very informative

@SCORPION 

Hi Scorpion

I stumbled across another link re PTSD relating to Auto accidents.

I read it and I think it covers much of the ground you've talked about.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/trauma/other/traumatic-stress-vehicle-accidents.asp

I hope it helps

Rick

Thanks @Rick 

That is a very interesting and helpful article. Did you mean to post 2 articles or 1? (Both links are the same).

I'mglad they (medical fraternity) are starting to wake up about this stuff. My psych keeps saying that almost all the progress around understanding trauma at the moment is happening in child and adolescent pshchiatry/psychology

Kind regards,

Kristin

Thanks Rick-The way you explain it makes perfect sense in light of my own experiences. I appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me.

Thanks a lot

kenny

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance