Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: RGB's thread

I thought they were talking about pixels @Appleblossom  and RGB is a video or visual format made up of pixels ?

@TAB 

Pixels ... are more IT ... information units ... than digital colour

Sorry mate... you know I am dreadfully nerdy. 

Had to put up with gush over pixels while I was trying to keep kids happy and cook dindin.

Did electronics with little brother in teens and knew a guy who worked for Radio Australia and a workshop out the back of all their rejects.  Ohhh Sine wave generators ....! His son worked for Telstra ... heard lots of tut tut tut and whistling through the wires.

At least it put doing logs at school in perspective.

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/pixel 

@RGB 

The full form of the pixel is "Picture Element." It is also known as "PEL." Pixel is the smallest element of an image on a computer display, whether they are LCD or CRT monitors. A screen is made up of a matrix of thousands or millions of pixels. A pixel is represented with a dot or a square on a computer screen.

@Appleblossom  2 of these preceded article you used and one came after. I'm not saying anything. Quoting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel

If you ask most people, the majority will say pixels are small squares that make up digital images.

However, this isn’t entirely correct, according to Pixar co-founder and world-renowned computer scientist, Dr Alvy Ray Smith; keynote speaker at last week's Dean’s Lecture hosted by the Faculty of Engineering Dean, Professor Willy Zwaenepoel.

“Pixels have never been little squares,” he explained. Instead, they’re “the unit of everything in terms of graphics and light” that are represented as the tiny squares or dots you see when you look closely at a digital screen.

This new contemporary vision, Dr Smith says, is what underpins every digital device, giving the world access to almost any medium in a digital format.

From Instagram posts to blockbusters, “digital light is any picture made of pixels -- that’s almost every picture in the world now,” he said.

Although the pixel first appeared in the late 1940s, with coloured pixels soon following in 1967, the most revolutionary shift took place in the late nineties, turning the analogue world digital. source below

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2019/09/16/what-is-a-pixel.html

@Appleblossom I'm OK today. Hanging in there.

Starfield: Official Teaser Trailer StarField looks like my kind of thing. I don't have a working console or a gaming PC, so I can't run games that big.

@RGB 

Hanging in there is better than nought.

Thanks for putting current computer power in perspective for me. 

Sorry you dont have the hardware.

Is it possible to get old 2nd hand hardware and put in more RAM ... or am I too old skool?

So my son is lucky he can play it.

Bought some tapware which plumber installed today.

Last night homeless guy came up behind me asking for ciggies ... not my poison any more so I shared my box of ice creams.  Better for us both ... but bloomin cold. 

@TAB Think the thing for me is that RGB are subpixels. I can remember that Maybe??

Did not file that info away, got into analogue colour more.

I'm lost @Appleblossom  they give off light all I get

Hey @RGB  - I haven't spoken to you an ages! Hope you are feeling a little better today. What's been happening on your side of the world?

Very interesting post @TAB . As soon as you mentioned pixels, my mind went to Minecraft. I've got no idea how to play it.

I am 60 have watched 40 plus years younger nieces transfixed by it like 10 years ago, think its mind control program @tyme re Minecraft lol

Hi @RGB love ur username. It has a nice ring to it.

Loneliness is really hard. I remember you were having some med changes and it was a hard time. Sending you a hug if U want one.

What are U up to tonight ?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance