Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Itwillbeok
Casual Contributor

Our stories

When my grandmother had her first seriously depressive episode and as an 18 year old I was the only family member in the same city, I was asked at the hospital if it was OK to give her ECT. I was so upset that it was up to me to decide. I talked with her and she was terrified. I remembered a friend had been a nursing sister and talked to her about it. I wish I had known other carers and had a place like this to ask about the experiences of others. It would have reassured me and most importantly my lovely grandmother and helped us make the right choice.

9 REPLIES 9
3forme
Senior Contributor

Re: Our stories

You were so young to have to make such a big decision and I really feel for you! I'm a carer, a mum, and I still find it difficult to make these decisions. It really helps to chat to other carers and find out what experiences they have had.

I have not had ECT myself but I always understood it was only appropriate in cases of severe suicidal depression????  ECT really wipes out people's short term memories and it's processes can be quite frightening ie to be restrained and given stupifying sedatives and then afterwards not being able to remember what happened????  ECT is a very old treatment modality and is best left as a relic of the past but maybe there are other views out there?

Jo
Senior Contributor

I understand how you must have felt. My first introduction to mental illness in a close family member occurred in 1974 and there was no help available. I truly believed my sister was 'possesse'd as I had no understanding of mental illness at all.I am sorry you had to go through this at such a young age.

Wow, you were so young to decide that I your own!
Pax
Casual Contributor

It so difficult to be dropped in the deep in without the support you need. SANE will provide a community to support people who may find themselves in similar situations to the one you described.

Hi  Everyone,

Thanks @itwillbeok for starting this discussion.

We do hope that these forums will offer a space for people who are in similar situations, to feel supported.

@geronimo - as you mentioned, ECT does have quite a history. If anyone would like to read more about how & why ECT is used as a treatment, you can check out this factsheet. Treatments such as ECT can seem quite daunting, but healthcare professionals can be really helpful to discuss treatment options with.

NikNik

Being put in that position would have been extremely scary for yourself and your grandmother. Having access to carers that have been through the same situation would have been extremely helpful. This forum I believe is a step in this direction.

ECT today is VERY different to its use in previous decades. I've met depression sufferers who swear by it's eficacy and reported no problems with discomfort during or after the procedures. I personally find the concept pretty scary but this is based on exposure to films depicting how the treatment was administered decades ago, in a dramatised context, and not based on information from medicos about what the treatment consists of today, or the data around its benefits. I'd suggest anyone considering this treatment discuss it with their psychiatrist to get the lastest accurate information about it.

Moved:

Re: Let's talk about Grief & Loss

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance