Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: New here ...

I shall try find it @Former-Member i get so lost of the forums here and feel i can never keep up ay! I get the exact same inspection anxiety someone coming in to judge how i live and tell me whats wrong(if anything) it can be a daunting thing to face! But i am sure it will be fine and its amazing your craft desk and computer chair are most important you should be proud of the craft space you have created for yaself for sure, she may be envious of such a space you never know! I hope you manage some sleep and that inspection goes well for you tomorrow ❤❤❤

Hi @Former-Member Welcome to the SANE forums. 🙂 

Acknowledging that there is a problem that needs fixing with regards to mental welbeing is one of the most difficult decisions as I have found. You're very brave for speaking up, and trust me, you're definately not alone here. There are so many people that suffer with depression and anxiety issues, me included. Life can really suck sometimes, and it feels like there is no hope left in the world when the depression and anxiety hits. 

I've been recently dealing with my latest bout of depression, but I'm finally starting to come out of it, slowly but surely. Hopefully we can provide some much-needed assistance for you here. 🙂 

Hi @Former-Member,

Good luck with your house inspection today. It made me smile when you described the quirky furnishing of your home. I don't have anywhere for visitors to sit either. I moved out of the home of my family of origin when I was 19 years old. I'm now 40 years old and I've never quite got around to buying a couch. I've just never felt the need for one. I've also never owned a dining table or chairs or a coffee table. In my house, I have two office chairs - one at the computer desk and one at my other desk, and the stool I sit on at the kitchen counter. I always find it super funny on the rare occassions when I have tradesmen come in. They don't seem to notice the lack of furniture until they go to write up the invoice. Then I see them looking around puzzled when they realise there's nowhere for them to sit down. Smiley LOL

I have just started thinking about maybe getting a chaise. There was one in the fancy room of the fancy hotel I stayed in a couple of weeks ago, and it made me think that it might be nice to have one in my house. I've started looking online to see if I can buy a chaise that is not attached to an entire lounge suit. I can see myself going into a store and saying "I'd like that 4-piece lounge there, without those three pieces." I'm going to sound just like @CheerBear ordering a chicken burger without the chicken. Smiley LOL

Former-Member
Not applicable

Well, inspection went well, her face was a picture when she saw my bedroom - very non-traditional set up. Finally got to sleep at 5am, up again at 8.30am for the 9am visit. That was just cruel. I'll nap later, before the groceries are delivered. yay for online shopping!

@Phoenix_Rising yes!  it's so funny with the tradespeople, no seats, no table, the confusion when the look around to realise they have to use the kitchen bench to write up invoices.

The last guy was so taken aback by the odd set up I have that he started sort of looking for a place to sit, walking here, there, then back again, then suddenly just went out and sat in his truck to write it up. Took him about 15 minutes too in searing heat. 

Chaises are cool. Hehe, I can totally see you ordering a not-4 piece lounge set. Smiley Wink There are - used to be anyway - places that will let you do that. Bean bags can be comfy too, but it's hard for me to get out of them now. That's an image you don't need. Smiley Embarassed

I have had all the trappings and trimmings over the years and found it didn't bring me any more happiness, only approval from others which never translated into anything useful to be honest. Now, my home is set up for me, not for visitors, and I love it that way.

It took a long, long time to be brave enough not to conform to the norm though, it's funny how you don't always realise the influence society/ others have had on us to expect things to be a particular way. 

I'm waffling, I'm tired, that happens when I'm tired. Smiley Embarassed

Former-Member
Not applicable

I think you may have been correct @Former-Member, when she saw the craft set up she was most surprised and seemed to think she'd like one similar for herself. 

I'm getting better at not letting what others think about the way I choose to live get to me, but it's still hard going sometimes. 

Hope you're having a pleasant morning. Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you for your welcome @EternalFlame that is very kind of you. Smiley Very Happy

I totally agree with the acknowledging a problem part, with anything really, 'cos before you can try to fix a problem, you have to know there is a problem. And, yes, mental well being still has such a stigma to it, I'm wary of speaking up because of judgment and expectations and how people with run with their own scenario instead of actually listening to a persons' story. I know that is well understood by people here too. 

Really glad to hear you're coming out of this bout of depression too, Eternal Flame, so sorry you have had to experience it though.

The support here has been really helpful, just reading the different threads posted over time has been a great help to know there are others with similar issues all working to manage life has been very useful to me. Smiley Very Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member my house use to be set up the same nobody had anywhere to sit if someone visited. I am glad the inspection is over and done with now. I do hope that you manage to get a nap in today that is a crule sleep!
I am not great and not sure when and if i will be:( i also do my shopping online:D have a nice day xx
Former-Member
Not applicable

Well, everything went well, thank goodness. I was organised to a fault, except for the sleep thing. @Former-Member I did get a nap in, before shopping came, thankfully. I hope your day improved. 

Then the course therapist I organised a call back with to discuss some details with called me an hour earlier than planned. It seems there's an insurmountable divide between what I want from therapy and what is able to be provided. Frameworks not withstanding, there has to be more. *sigh* 

So, I went online to check out the DBT books by Lineham from Book Depository. There they both were at an awesomely reduced price and they will be here with me in about 10 days! Yay. doing something positive about helping myself.

I appreciate the existence of the other therapeutic stuff I've done for years and years, because without it in the early times, I wouldn't be here, but I want something that reaches further now. 

Funny thing: I wanted some potato chips in the shopping but knew it really wasn't good for me, so didn't order it. When unpacking the order, there's a bag with a packet of frozen chips and some frozen pastry from someone else's order. Smiley Surprised Phoned the store, they don't want it back, so guess who's having chippies with their dinner tonight! (not many 'cos of carb limit, but still, chippies!)

Hope your nights are going well. 

Hi @Former-Member , I have tagged you in the Let’s do DBT thread if you’re interested 😊
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Catcakes caught that, much appreciated. Heart Very kind of you to do that. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance