Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bobby2015
Contributor

New health professional

Good morning everyone, l was diagnosed recently as having BPD tendencies. I have a new psychologist and was wondering how long other took to feel comfortable with a new health professional?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: New health professional

Hi and welcome @Bobby2015,

My personal experience with new mental health professionals often goes something like this:

• anticipation of first meeting with anxiety and/or positive excitement
  • first meeting brings relief and reflection, on rare occasions I have decided not to see therapist again
  • after first few appointments I feel like I'm on more solid ground with the therapist, by this time I will have decided if I want to proceed with longer term therapy
  • the more appointments I have with the therapist the more comfortable I feel with them, bearing in mind the usual ups and downs I might have with anyone

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Thanks for that, great help

Hi @Bobby2015

Welcome to the forums!!! 🙂

I imagine that it would be different for everyone, but I am wondering if this is a conversation that you can have with the therapist? ie discuss how trust is built long term (so you dont feel pressured), what you need to trust him/her, what was good/bad about the last one    etc?

Does anyone have any experiences / ideas they can share?

Ideas to help with adjustment? @BPD-life@Fast_Cars_Are

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance