Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: My son (24) has schizophrenia

@Barbara @Pamina
Topic Tuesday special events tab on now
Caring for men who do not care for themselves'

I'm so sorry your going through this my son also has scitzophrenia and I feel so alone no one understands what he's going through I'm the only one there for him praying things get better for your son my son is 28

Hello @Fxy344

@am not too well at the moment will reply soon.

yes feels so alone but there are others here.

keep writing how you feel

we will reply when we can

look after you too

Barbara, did the situation with your son ever get resolved?  I am in a similar situation in the united states.  My son takes invega but a very small amt. ..dr. says it's a child's dose and nontherapeutic.  I'm a single mom and hardly making any money so I don't think I could afford a private guardian for long, unless I sold my place.. then i'd have money for a little while that I could put towards it.  Otherwise, I have considered a public state guardian (I live in florida right now) but sometimes my son still seems so smart and with it.  He is able to drive... and doesn't want to give up the car.  He likes where he lives with me. but I've been giving him a lot of money lately from a small inheritance he had, however most of the money is gone... he got arrested at one point and that cost $5000 to get a lawyer who got the charges dropped.  Then he had a fender bender and i had just taken off the part of car insurance (trying to save money) that wouldve paid for it. that cost $4000... so he has like nothing left of the inheritance and would qualify for public guardianship.. the problem is guardianship takes away the person's rights to make decisions and gives it to a guardian to take over.  It's scary when you won't know the person taking over.  My son is used to living in a nice area and the guardian might move him to a crime infested area.. well... those are my fears.  Otherwise I don't know what to do.. I'm almost 60 and running out of money and energy to deal with the illness.  I have sent for the book: Im not sick, I don't need help by Xavier Amador.. he also has it on youtube.. the technique to use... I need to learn it too.

how are you and your son @Fxy344 ?

I am so sorry that I did not get back to you as promised

when I replied to you I had only been back from overseas two days and was extremely jetlagged

I dont want to excuse myself as I know how it feels to not be listened to

my son was diagnosed with schizophrenia october last year...he does not acknowledge or agree with his diagnosis and seeks no medical help.

you mentioned that you are on your own there are others in similar situations on various titled threads, some have replied on this thread

you are not alone

I do hope that you come back and have another try on this site...if only to vent your feelings

you are not expected to support others

Dear @Gemima  yes i did get both your messages from 21 June, sorry it took me so long to reply, i only just logged in and saw your messages. its been a rollercoaster-ride as usual and i don't get much time to myself. thank you for your positive thoughts and trying to help. it is so difficult to look after ourselves. we are all in a similar difficult situation which no one except another carer can understand. it is such a lonely journey, i feel so isolated from the rest of the world. this constant 'emergency mode;.. what is going to happen next.. how much longer will i be able to cope...when will the next episode start... so many worries, our mind, heart and sould being preoccupied by this constant pain and uncertainty. gosh when i hear your story about how active your son is i am thinking my son will never be able to do this. he is not leaving the house. only at night, so that no one can see him, he is scared of people and going to shops. i feel soo sad all the time. we argue a lot, but i just have to end up taking all his abuse because he gets very stressed and it triggers another episode. so its still like walking on eggshells. his room is disgusting. he has so many obsessions and i feel like i cant take it anymore. it is unbearable. i have no choice but hang in there even i feel like running away forever and never return. i am sooo exhausted. thank you so much for your messages. it means a lot to me!!  i also wish you all the best in your journey. lets keep in touch.. 

Dear @Schnarf5 thank you for your message, my situation with my son will never be resolved... i wish.. you are also in a very difficult situation and i wish i could help you. we are on different continents. i live in Australia so everything (financial, legal) works differently here. gosh you have been through a lot! i know what you are saying about running out of energy, i ask myself every day how much longer i can do this.. i am only 51 and i am already at my wits end. i am thinking of you and sending you a big hug !! lets try and find strenght to continue on this difficult journey... 

Can I ask what injection this is? My brother has schizophrenia and I wonder if that is a good option for him, rather than tablets.

@Zam Thank you so much for your posts. They provide so much insight.

Hi @Jasminej, there's some info on depot medications on this page, under the heading "How to take antipsychotic medication."

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance