Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ashmelb
Casual Contributor

My inattentive adhd

Hi Brains 🙂

I am a 44 year old male, I have been diagnosed with adult adhd at the age of 42.
I just lost mt 17th job in Australia in 15 years.

I am an IT support Engineer and divorced with 2 kids, I always wondered that I have a problem as this ADHD gene is coming from my mums side, people say my grandfather was a quite a character and I have seen how insane my mum was but my mum was a very hard working woman yet getting angry and had huge anger issues. I am a bit different better version of my mum, I have a big heart, helpful but I had this cycle where I start something but cannot continue so yes I lost all my jobs, I am not an Australian by birth, I always feel like going back to my country but I am stuck with my kids and me ex here. 

I am a very energetic and a bubbly guy, but I am suffering as I am scared that I cannot make money nor continue working as I have no support and my ex tell my kids I am a useless person and a lazy man and never take your dads as an example. 

These words hurt me a lot and world doent know how hard I try. My kids starting to tell me I am a lazy guy and go do some work. I have been given medicaiton for ADHD but it makes me so not me.

So I am an inattentive adhd guy and what help is there for me? 
I have a BSc in IT and I know I can work, I just cant keep going, I get bored feel like burnt out.

any help is appreciated.

may you all heal 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: My inattentive adhd

Hi @ashmelb 

Just saying hello really

17 jobs in 15 years.

Maybe you should write a book about Resumes.

Joking

I cannot imagine how hard it is to keep applying

Especially because we go through all the effort, getting the resume as best we can, and these days they do not have the courtesy of replying.

Mind if they do, it is a generic letter.

Normally I would say ignore what others say, but in Divorces it is so bad when a parent gets the Innocent children involved.

Children get over thinks. That is the joyful years most of us have.

I am not in your situation, but my advice, not that you asked for it, is be the best you can in front of the kids. I would hope as they grow up they will see that dad never shouts or says bad things

Then hopefully your ex learns from you, but regardless as the kids age, they should see things for how they are. The kids may prefer time with you if it is peaceful.

Do you have any custody arrangements?

Stay energetic and bubbly. Don't let t hem take that away from you

I hope you are eligible for Government support

IT. Are you a geek at all? Is that where boredom comes from?

Nice reading your post.

Re: My inattentive adhd

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I think ADHD has no government support. 
I am a jack of all trades, I am good at interviews.

people like the way I talk and they hire me,  but then ADHD kicks in and takes my job away.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance