Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let`s talk about Bipolar

@greenpea @Shaz51 i had my first nap in months today, normally with my meds i dont feel the urge. i used to nap more when i was depressed or hungover. Even with sleeping meds i still wake up during the night but it was definately worse pre medication/the last months before hospital. 

But yeah basically sleep can be an issue for me. 

@JungleGiants  Hey JungleGiants sounds as if we all have trouble one way or another. Nice to meet you anyway. Love peax

@greenpea nice to meet you too 🙂
Was nice napping and it was still light from daylight savings today at least

Hi @Shaz51 @greenpea @Olga @JungleGiants 

It's hard to disentangle sleep problems because there's so many variables.

Idk if there's any studies done on Bipolar and sleep but anecdotally, I think Bipolar is a big factor in my disturbed sleep. I do better when I'm on more medication - but that's such a double edged sword.

I understand that double edged sword @frog. More medication improves sleep but leaves more drowsy and lethargic in the daytime. Don't know which is better. I guess the bad sleep and less meds is my preferred option eventhough I do take enough medication as it is....

Agree @Olga I'm taking a similar approach ... trying to manage on less meds, but taking enough as it is. We face a lot of dilemmas I think, and the world at large doesn't see or get it most of the time.

Hi @Shaz51 @greenpea @frog   @Olga @JungleGiants 

Thanks for the tag Shaz.  I also have had dysfunctional sleep for years.  I'm usually up at least 5 and sometimes as many as 8 times through the night.  I've tried everything I've heard of about sleep improvement, including sleep hygeine practices, and a few meds I take are all supposed to help, but nothing seems to do the trick for me.  So I can't give advice really.  Bipolar 1 and complex PTSD plus anxiety issues add up to a recipe for broken sleep it seems.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @eth@frog

I also suffer a lot from dysfunctional sleep. I have found the below to be very helpful in providing the science of why this occurs and what can be done to help. He is a professor of neurobiology and ophthalmology at Stanford School of Medicine but is very accessible.

I hope this in some small way helps,

M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1TxQj9IsQ

Thanks for the podcast @Former-Member   it's helpful. Well @Shaz51 @eth @frog @Olga dysfunctional sleep is probably my biggest problem atm. My sleep cycle is delayed several hours and despite efforts I haven't been able to shift it. But I don't have the problem of broken sleep. I sleep heavily til I've had my quota, which is my depression pattern. Before my current medication, not sleeping for a couple of nights was problematic and linked to a high or mixed state. I wish I had something to look forward to, to get up for, to break the cycle. 

hello @JungleGiants@Olga@frog@eth@Dimity@Mazarita@rivergal@HenryX 

how is everyone tonight , @Snowbird@greenpea@roses , @Former-Member , @Jag57@BillyGoat@HH2O77@Bushman , @Former-Member 

hope you are all ok 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance