Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let down by the system once again resulting in a near tragedy

well finally the manager of our local Community of MH team and our hospital pyschiatrist want to sit down with me and 'discuss' what happened but I just feel they are going to try to 'band aid ' the situation. Little do they know that our local MP has agreed/ offered to come along with me as my support person. However now I need some pointers as to how to address the recent events and what to say/ask so that I am not just viewed as another person complaining to them. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?? ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@Attahua

Is the pdoc the clinical director? If not they may not be the appropriate person to complain to. Might be worth checking that out.

This group might be of help.

https://helpingminds.org.au/carer-rights/

These are my tips

1) know what outcome you want from the meeting *this is important*

Do you want training , reprimands, compensation???
Example: Training be given to crisis team on carer communication

2) know where you are prepared to cut them slack but don't play all your cards at once.

3) Look at carer act/mental health act etc. and where it was breached.

4) remind them that patients with carer support have better outcomes, less hospitalisations etc and that you have called only when there is a genuine crisis ie you do not cry wolf

5) point out that when you reminded team of history it was ignored

Hope this helps
Darcy

Hi @Attahua

So good to read that you saw your local MP and he has agreed to be present at this important meeting.

If it were me I would be voicing in this meeting exactly the details of "all the circumstances that lead up to this near tradegy - including at the time the resulting inaction and breaches of duty of care by the mental health team and all you called on for emergency assistance for your husband when experiencing his latest episode". The latter is most important to reaffirm in front of your witness (MP) of exactly what happened. You can if you wish write the whole scenario of what happened in point form to read from at the meeting explaining the facts of your complaint in its entirety - and then sign it offering copies addressed to them and your local MP. 

Then I would ask the mental health team "what mental health emergency procedure/plan/assistance they can offer you and your husband guaranteeing that "this negligence and lack of appropriate mental health care for your husband - that resulted in a police search and a road accident, "never happens again". If you are not satisfied with the response of the mental health team to your above question/s at the meeting, then ask your MP there and then in front of them "what he will do to address the deficiencies in the mental health care system raised at this meeting that failed your husband and yourself putting you both and others at risk".

Then at the end of the meeting put in writing all that was stated and the outcome of the meeting whilst fresh in your mind for future reference and support if you should need to follow up. Let us know how you get on. Wishing the very best outcome for you and your husband.

@Former-Member
Am going to pinch some of your wording for a complaint I have in at present. Thank you.

Your most welcome @Former-Member. So glad to have been of some help. Hoping with all I have that you will get some satisfactory results xx

Thank you so so much!! This is very helpful

I am overwhelmed by the support and advice here, so do grateful!!! Thank you Enigma and I will let you know how I get on!!

Thank you so so much!! This is very helpful , I agree @Attahua, @Former-Member, @Former-Member

When is appointment @Attahua

The appointment was supposed to be about three weeks away but I have now been told the pyschiatrist is on leave and I was also given the impression he does not want to meet as I said we could wait until he returns. As soon as I said I was bringing a support person though, never mentioned that it was our MP , the manager of the MH team said she would organise for her boss to attend our 'chat' ( that's what she keeps calling it and every time I emphasise that I look forward to the 'meeting'). I have since said that the MP will be attending but of course he sits in parliament the date they gave me and the manager goes on leave shortly after so we are back to square one on simply trying to organise a date!!! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance