Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bella1978
Senior Contributor

Involuntary Leg Kicking

Hi everyone ... mum is quite depressed this morning. Managed to get her to have breakfast and now she is back in bed. She involuntary kicks her legs while she is laying down. This may sound silly but could it be brought on by her state of mind? Anyone had similar experiences? Thanks in advance x
8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Involuntary Leg Kicking

Hello @Bella1978 In my personal experience, leg twitches and kicks and even involuntary arm movements while lying/ sleeping have been stopped by taking a dose of a magnesium blend a couple of times a month. 

The jumping muscles can be a very real problem as they wake me from a deep sleep and can cause an adrenaline overload from the scary awakening. If this is happening each time your mum tries to sleep, it could be adding to her distress and sense of depression and frustration. It's how it makes me feel, that's for sure so I know now to use the blend as soon as my muscles start to twitch and I notice it. 

It might be worth checking in with her chemist and/or gp to see if this would help. Heart

Hi @Bella1978, it is called, "Restless Leg Syndrome" and my husband has it. It can be due to mineral defficiencies but it can also be a product of anxiety.

Hi @perseverer .... aaah ok, thank you. Is there anything that can help relieve it?
How are you today?

@Bella1978, to my knowledge it cannot be cured, but alternating hot and cold compresses and massage can help relieve the symptoms.

Thanks @perseverer

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Bella1978 I have been told there are some medications that can cause the leg movements too. it might be worth checking with the pharmacist who dispensed her meds to see if anything she's taking might be causing the leg movements, and if anything might be done for it. 

I agree with @perseverer about the massaging before sleep. I have found using a massager before sleep can be most useful with relaxing the muscles. 

Dealing with the anxiety issues will also reduce pretty much any muscle tensions, so again, the pharamacist seems like the most effective place for a good start. Hopefully, your mum's pharacist is as good as mine is and keeps up to date. 

Re the post that went missing - saw it - sometimes it's more of a blend of minerals that is needed rather than just the single mineral. 

HOpe things are getting better. 

Hey @Former-Member ... will look into her meds. I usually read over the side effects of everything she takes. I do think anxiety exacerbated it. Our pharmacist is pretty good too - if they see it a new medication they will go over side effects with me.

I mentioned the full name of the mineral mag in one of my messages and it deleted it cause I mentioned the full name of the medication.

Mum's kicking seems to have settled down but she doesn't think she is spiralling into depression which is hard. I'm being gentle with her but I'm not getting very far. If I try to be stern with her she just digs her heels in even more. Her psych wants her to increase her meds - she doesn't like that idea. God give me strength!

How are you? How has your day been?

x

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey there @Bella1978 a fairly 'flat' day today, but I've worked out why so that's going to be mostly okay. 

It's tricky getting someone to see how they are in themselves without aggravating the situation in any unexpected way. Letting her find a way for increasing the meds being her idea might be helpful, but still tricky in the doing of. 

Does she do any craft or things that can shift her mind set or mental focus and be uplifting? I mostly live over in the Craft Corner as it's my best method of coping and I intend to have the whole world crocheting, if not crocheting and sewing! 

It keeps me amused anyway. I hope you and your mum are having a pleasant day. Heart 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance