Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gemima
Senior Contributor

Intro to group

Hi guys, my son was diagnosed with epilepsy and schizophrenia in 2013 he is 23 now. I was just wondering how to help him. We've seen the worst psychotic episodes and seizures and he has endured anxiety attacks, depression and is lucky to still be alive, I fell down in 2015 with my own mental breakdown because of this stress. He has come so far and I look forward not back.
He lives at home and still needs to be prompted to self care he has a job mowing lawns which keeps him fit, but he comes home and just sleeps.I just feel so helpless sometimes and this is why I've joined the forum,
Keen to hear any positive feedback guidance
Thanks
1 REPLY 1

Re: Intro to group

Hi @Gemima,

Knowing where to start and how to help your loved one can be confusing, complex and stressful. It sounds like caring for your son has been been a long and tiring journey. Though I admire how you are looking forward, rather than going over the past. 

May I ask if your son has supports? E.g., pscyhologist, friends, pscyhiatrists? It's good to hear that he is working, and staying fit through his work. How often is he working? Overall, is managing that work ok?

I understand that @peter_here was hoping to start a thread on sharing tips on caring for someone with schizophrenia, so perhaps he might have something to add here. Another post you might want to read is this discussion started by @Barbara who has a son similar to your age who has schizophrenia. Also @Janna is also caring for an adult son, who struggles with daily life, which she has written about here

@Gemima I was saddened to hear that you had a breakdown because of the stress. I hope that things are getting better. It's important that you also care for you so that you can prevent a breakdown from happening again. May I ask if you have your own supports, and that you doing things to take time out for yourself? 

Glad to see you here,

CherryBomb

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance