Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Swedish8
New Contributor

I cried at my sister's wedding

I cried at my sister's wedding. Not just tears of joy though. When I was asked, I simply said "because I almost didn't make it today." This answer baffled those that heard it. I didn't have the heart to explain in full. My tears were joyful in a twofold way but, guilt was the other cause for my emotional state that evening. This shameful feeling was caused by my failed suicide attempts earlier this year. I should first explain what I meant earlier when I mentioned that my joy was twofold. I was happy to see my sister so happy, but I was also happy that I got to see her this happy by way of my failure to take my own life. I thanked whatever Gods may be for the fact that I failed.<br><br>I was also feeling guilty and ashamed, because had I succeeded I can only imagine the hollow feeling family members present would have felt on a day like this. They would have been forced into saying things like "I wish Ben were here." Or "This doesn't feel right without my brother/son/nephew/cousin." This guilt remains a splinter in my mind at all family gatherings. If I had killed myself every birthday, Christmas, family gathering and Sunday dinner with my parents would have been ruined.<br><br>I struggle to reconcile this because I continue to think "what if I wasn't here? Would there be this much enjoyment or would my ghost be a dampener on the day?" The three worst feelings in the world are:<br><br>1) Wanting to commit suicide<br><br>2) Failing when you attempt suicide<br><br>3) Attending family functions where nobody knows that you tried to take your own life and thinking about how your absence would be felt if you'd succeeded.<br><br>It truly doesn't get worse than this, I promise. My family are still unaware of what I went through, and I'm not ready to tell them face to face. I feel freer for having shared this with you though. I have been getting much better with my problems. To this day I've done nothing about how I'm feeling because to write it on a piece of paper it looks so trivial. One part of my mind tortures the other for the time being, with memories and flashes of things left unsaid or undone.<br><br>Some days I'm convinced that my story has a happy ending, some days I'm convinced it won't. But I've decided to take the day as it comes, and deal as appropriate with whatever may come.
3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I cried at my sister's wedding

Hi @Swedish8

Welcome to the forums and thankful for sharing so honestly about your experience. This is a great community and full of people who really do 'get it' about those feelings.

I'm glad you are 'still here'. I also failed at taking my own life and was so disappointed and frustrated at first but there are times when I suddenly have that clarity of thank goodness I'm still here for my kids.

I also constantly have memories and flashbacks to different events... Old stuff and more recent things that continue to make things tough at times but I do have a great psychologist who assures me I'm so much better than I was a year ago 🙂 sometimes I even believe her lol!

Hope to see u around the forums some more!

Take care
Lj

Hi @Swedish8  I'd like to welcome you too and also let you know that I've experienced all you describe too and agree with what @Former-Member says.  Some days are harder than others when recovering ourselves and the forums are a safe place to share and be supported and even reach a place where you can offer support too.

Look forward to seeing more of you.

Hi @Swedish8

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for taking the time to so eloquently explain to us how you are feeling. The key point I saw in your post was you comment right at the bottom that mentions taking one day at a time. Sometimes it is beneficial to look at taking one second, or one minute at a time.

I wanted to ask if you have spoken to anyone about how you are feeling? I know you mentioned you felt freer by writing your story here, perhaps talking to a counsellor could help you. Or giving Lifeline a call on 13 11 14 - they have 24 hour counsellors you can talk to.

So welcome again, let us know if you wanted some advice on finding a counsellor.

Outlanderali

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance