Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

jem80
Community Guide

How to be heard?

Why do I feel that when people know that I have a mental illness, they stop hearing me?

I still have a voice to be heard and I am stable so I am coherent with my words. It seems that someone else has to say it to be heard. It's like double talk and it is frustrating. I try to be patient and let people be comfortable talking with me and try to interact with their conversations.

Am I bashing my head up a brick wall?

It's like people think they know what is best for me, but don't really hear what I think is best for me. So when I say something, it's ignored.

How do I be heard and be patient at the same time?

I am running low on energy trying to be patient.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to be heard?

Hi @jem80.
Wondering who you are speaking about. Is it your psych team? Your family? Your friends? Your work colleagues? Or new people you meet?
I did have a psychiatrist last year who didn't listen to me. I now have a new psychiatrist who does.
My mum tries really hard to help me even when I say there is nothing she can do. I have to keep repeating this to her.
My friends understand (the ones I still see) & they don't treat me any different.
New people fall into 2 main categories:
* those that want to be educated about mental health.
And
* those who think I'm contagious. Lol.
I avoid this last group and don't waste my precious time and energy on them.

Re: How to be heard?

@jem80 Hi jem80 and welcome. I remember when my mother once said to me 'Why do people with a mental illness always want to talk about it' then when she went in for an operation and she suffered a bout of acute depression afterwards all she would do is talk about it.  I said nothing.  

I think it is an invisible disorder, mi that is. It is not like a broken leg or being in a wheel chair (please I am not minimising these issues at all) but because it cannot be seen it can be so easy forgotten about.  Even if the person is acting strangely the worst images of mental illness come to mind which are seen on tv which is of no help at all to the person suffering from the mi. 

Personally I just get on with life and dont worry too much about it all as  people will either like me for who I am or dislike me that is okay to. greenpea

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance