Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

AlienBP2
Senior Contributor

How does the subconsious relate to " your inner voice"... The one in your head when read a book?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: How does the subconsious relate to " your inner voice"... The one in your head when read a book?

Hi @AlienBP2

When I leanred NLP we used the term unconscious rather than subconscious - it is a slightly different take on things from the classical psychological view.

When talking about the 'Unconcious' it includes every single thing of which you are not currently consciously aware. The moment you become consciously aware of it it moves from unconscious to conscious, and vice versa. 

So from this perspective if you are not consciously aware of generating the voice, it is generated unconsciously - and this includes things like tone, tempo, pitch, gender of the voice etc etc. And our responses to these qualities are also very often quite unconsciously linked - so for example when reading you pick up a lot of detail from the context to project the right kind of voice for what you are reading, to get the tone right  etc.

For a some people they have significant variation and range in their inner voices - they can hear it seeming to come from differing directions, distances, characters, people they know , different kinds of voices etc all of which is very normal. Eg if your mum used to trot out particular sayings or catchphrases it is quite likely that you will 'hear' them in her voice when you think of them. Or think of a movie character catchphrase and you quite likely hear it in that characters/actors voice, or when thinking about songs you can hear the different voices of different singers.

It should also be noted that not everyone has that inner voice when reading; a Visual to Auditory reading strategy is very common due to the way most of us learn how to read, but is not universal.

Mostly when I read I have a Digital (the printed work) to Kinesthetic startegy - eg I don't say the words to myself and I don't make pictures of what is happening, I go straght from printed word to feelings about it - this makes reading highly immersive for me - but is a tricky strategy with new jargon or very technical material as I have trouble recognising what I am reading for a while. I have acquired a more Digital to Auditory strategy since listening to audiobooks and they work much better for me for non-fiction.

Re: How does the subconsious relate to " your inner voice"... The one in your head when read a book?

What a great thread question.

I think most academic and therapuetic models are clear about the differences between the "un" and "sub" conscious ... it is in the general community that I have found most confusion about those categories.

@chookmojo I really like your clarity and personal reflection. 

More and more we will move from the fixed notions of IQ, EQ and "talent" to learning and prcessing styles ... thats me being gypsy and looking into my crystal ball.

Woman WinkWoman Happy

I know you can "imprint" on the subconsious by writing things down...,
Just the act of writing things down has a dramatically of following through you ideas at a " consious level "
It's very important to write only positive things down ....because if you write " negative" things down you'll unfortunately imprint those to ...with the consequences that will flow in your actions beliefs....
There some thing else that flows from thus I will talk about latter...;-))

This is interesting; for me that would be a fascinating experience, however not having experienced it don't know how to go about it.

The above is in relation to thr " digital auditory ..,. Where she goes straight from the written word to feelings about it...
Actually I have experienced this at times...
I just failed to interpret what was happening...
Your right it can get pretty energies .... I tend to not hear voices from others; and can be very surprised how noisey my environment is when I stop reading......Hmmmm

Ok here it is....
If you want to locate things in your life that are important to you; here's something that may help:-
Write them down on a piece of paper;
now re write them again down again in
order of importance.
Now write them in such awsy as to how you might go about getting them....
What happens is you " imprint " this on your unconscious ....
It will create a "unconscious radar"
If you do meditation before this it should work even better I believe....
You must be realistic about your goals and use a bit of commonsence ...,.
As you go about your life; your unconscious will look for these things.....and alert your conscious mind when it has the answers and or sees what you are looking for...
Now be very careful what you choose as you might just get it with negative consequences....
I have done it and it does seem to work over time.
It is critical you don't put negative or superficial things down for obvious reasons!
Good luck!
Allan

Good advice about consciously programming our unconscious ... the sort of thing I have followed too ...

That is so interesting, I really like the way that you have used audiobooks. I hear voices and I have a lot of trouble getting my mind to stay still long enough to have a decent read. I have often wondered about the "inner voice" and I think that there is a lot to be said about all of us having that "voice" whilst reading. My experience is that the rowdy rabble can make it extremely difficult to get that clear "inner voice" that seems to be the one reading to you when you are gazing at a page of text. I know I've had it before, but was such a long time ago.......still the idea that the sub/unconscious has more of the facts over your perceptions and emotions has led me in the past to look for peace and quiet in all the wrong places, such as addictions and so on, but there is always the poor old conscious self battling away with only a bit of the information that the sub/unconscious self has, trying to make sense of it all! What do you think?

I have often had difficulty quietening down my mental rabble, enough to read ... and concentrate properly .. re-read the same paragraph etc... I try to make my inner voice the one loving one ... the patient one, the calm one ... for me and for others ... often I cant seem to find that part of myself but once having experienced it ... it is an inevitable challenge to find that part of the self again.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance