Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Fragile

@Appleblossom  I'm so sorry you have experienced all of this, I'm so sorry that there is so much inhumanity towards each other across the world. I cannot understand how people can be so cruel and dismissive of others, in any way. 

I have struggled to even realise that what I experienced had a name, and that it was not supposed to be normal. 

My experience with therapists/ psychologists/ psychiatrists/ counsellors and religious advisors (I've pretty much tried everywhere), was that they simply had no comprehension of my experience, yet, like you, I had evidence of these things through legal processes. To them I was not telling the truth, because these things, to their sheltered minds, could not have occurred.

It happened again last year with another psychologist, and now I've had to give up, I can't fight anymore. I commend you for continuing your journey to reach your goal. 

I'm reading the information in the link, but wanted to reply to this post before moving onto that side of things.

I do hope I have no overstepped anything or caused you offense with my post here. 

No offense felt at all @Last-Lament  Thanks for quick reply.

Heart

You put it very well, something which has been a large part of my social issues again and again. 

Rejection and invalidation because of the other's ability to comprehend.  

This is a particularly good point I think @Appleblossom

"Recovery is non-linear, characterized by continual growth and improved functioning that may involve setbacks. Because setbacks are a natural, though not inevitable, part of the recovery process, it is essential to foster resilience for all individuals and families. "

@Appleblossom 

There's many good points in that pdf.  It does sound very nice, and wouldn't it be lovely if it actually happened that way. 

Indeed having a working definition of what recovery could look like sounds, on the surface, to be an excellent starting point. 

I say, 'on the surface', because, to me, with my history (I'm close 70 years old), and experiences throughout that time, I've been a client of trained, registered, providors whose advertising covered many of those points, yet they did not deliver on any of them.

The concept of recovery is tossed around a little too blithely for my liking too. Recovery implies one will become as well as one was prior to the 'injury or illness' whatever that injury or illness might have been. Life tells us that is simply not always, if ever, going to happen.

I prefer honesty to pretty lies and half truths, that way I can make better decisions about which path to go down in an attempt at bettering the life I have to contend with. To me, that is not negativity, it is open honesty, that allows for informed decision making, yet lots of people see it as being negative. 

A definition of what recovery might be like would be more productive, imo. Recovery can mean different things, at different times, in different situations, so a one size fits all implication of recovery isn't, I don't think, helpful. 

In my case, overcoming the physical damage wrought against my physical body during the SA won't, and can't, be fixed, or overcome. Due to other reasons, help with that was denied me, so that as I age, more and more capability is taken from me, due to that first situation. The mental toll was separate from the physical, but is now entangled with it because of the continued degradation of that initial spinal injury. 

There's one point that I can't see addressed in that information, and that's the concept of 'judgment and preconceived notions' being applied to a person's situation, management processes, in fact, any aspect of them, as being harmful to any level of recovery. It's an area that needs so much more attention paid to it. 

"... Hope is the catalyst of the recovery process."

Oh, what I could say about hope and how unscrupulously it is used, and how it influences our better judgments ... my post would not be alllowed. 

You have posted something that has provoked a great deal of thought, passion, and many emotions for me Appleblossom, please forgive me if I have taken the topic and taken a direction you did not intend. 

These are thoughts, discussions that we as a society need to be having in an open and honest manner, otherwise how else shall we ever become more humane.

To be a better person, one has to first know it is possible, then learn how to become a better person - open discussion about often taboo topics will help this happen. Heart

@Last-Lament 

I value your reply highly.  No worries at all.  Thank you for reading it and sharing.

Heart

Hearing you about "on the surface" ... and being a senior... Me too.

Heart

Especially your point:

"There's one point that I can't see addressed in that information, and that's the concept of 'judgment and preconceived notions' being applied to a person's situation, management processes, in fact, any aspect of them, as being harmful to any level of recovery. It's an area that needs so much more attention paid to it."

I was at a workshop with  lot of Canberra people once (nothing MH related) and was told they are thinking about the problem of subjectivity of health providers, including doctors in providing services.  It is a huge area, and being professional, is simply not enough when so many lives are at stake.  Its why I keep posting on here.

I am really sorry you have had spinal injury and SA.  I have also, though mostly for me itsmy neck.  I understand the separation of emotional and physical pain a little. It is hard work.

Heart

Dear @MDT  I appreciate your take away point and just having you around.

Smiley Happy

However, I am probably incredibly resilient, but the big problem for me is the point where resilience does not make the grade, and the body fails and injury or death occurs.  I am sure my father was very resilient too, as he had a quiet stoic thoughtful kind of personality. What do we see under a label ... Thanks anyhow.

Apple

Setbacks are part of the process i think but I can get let down by that a lot

I think I am learning to be kinder to myself and to also balance things in life. Its a fine art I think but I am getting there.

This week has been intense.

@Appleblossom you're a good forumite who is wise and experienced. I approach your input and support

Dogs are so intuitive @Mazarita Maltese Shih Tzus have a great temperament and are very good companions so I am not surprised this little friend has become attached to you too. Heart

Thanks @Appleblossom .

I have had experience of the wheel of life and a wellness wheel.

I have not seen anything like this before. i could relate all the points and see the signifance and importance of their place in the wheel ,except the trauma section.

I have none to minimal knowledge of the theory of trauma based care so thank you for this link and i will look at the website of SAMHSA. this looks like a US site. I wonder is there an equivalent Australia site or org. 

I have heard this term trauma informed care being spoken about by health professionals but have not personal experience of it.

Although i do not know how influenced by this theory the psychologists i have worked with are. 

It is something to look at very carefully and to go slowly as not to trigger any past wounds I imagine.  

yes I agree it is non linear, has aspects of growth and involves setbacks.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance