Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

w1sdumb
Contributor

End of 457, have to leave Australia

Matbe this is a case for not letting folks who have "mental health issues" into the country in the first place, like they won't accept a family with an autistic kid as an immigrant, at least not through the usual channels. Maybe. Anyhow, I've been here nearly 4 years, holding down a professional position and paying my taxes. Not that it all went smoothly, mind you, these have been the most stressful years ever - being bipolar and having the possibility constantly of losing the job if one ever slacked because of going down, and losing the right to stay if I lost the job.. well, that is a stress no one wants to face! It's finally happened - you know, the "whatever you focus on" thing - well, I've been paranoid about what would happen when time was up for so long now, and now it's happened. My parents are Australian citizens , one of two sisters is a citizen, and I have to leave. Why can't I stay? I'm over 50. It never occurred to me to attempt immigration begore because quite frankly, lots of paperwork freaks me out. But now I got a job because what I know is rare. Not rare enough to have paid me enough to be able to stay because I earned the Fair Work High Threshold. Nope I must go because all visa options fall away when you turn 50. Why am I writing this? Well, I feel that someone ought to know. Much is made of mental health care here. Australian citizens don't know how good they have it. I, like Snuffles, have no support and no carer, but unlike Snuffles, I also have no country, nowhere to go, no one I know in any of the countries "out there", but I can't stay here, amongst the people I've grown to know. Yes, maybe you should keep them out altogether, because it's really difficult when they've been here and then, mental health or not, they have to go.
14 REPLIES 14

Re: End of 457, have to leave Australia

I have heard before if people have a physical dissability where they may be refused entry for permanent residence on the grounds of a burden on the tax payer...so maybe you are right.

Hi @w1sdumb,

Welcome to the forums, their are many good people here, i am sure soemone knows someone with the same issues, i really hope it can be resolved.

I think a major problem in Australia today looking at the news and Immigration is politicians and the general public refuse to see they are all Immagrents too, everyone in this country came from somewhere else, this country seem to have a weird view that somehow they have always existed in Australia, and it is somehow their right to stop anyone else comming here. 

I am glad you have found a country you find "lucky", unfortunatly for many Australians it is not the "lucky country".  I have lived in a situation for 7 years, where i was living on $1,000 a year, which had to cover all bills, food and clothing, i was eating toasted cheese sandwitches for every meal, so many Australians are living is such poverty.

You sound like you are a good person, that is all that should matter, but in politics, being a good person is not good enough.  it is such a shame to see where Australia is heading.  it really brings a tear to my eye.

Hi @w1sdumb
I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation. I don't know much about visas and immigration, so I apologise I can't be much help.

If you're comfortable sharing, what is your current situation? Have you received formal notice stating you must leave by a certain time?
Are there any avenues left in terms of appeal?

On the basis you have your parents are citizens and one of your siblings can't you get immigration to allow you to stay on companionate grounds...,I would get in touch with your local MP who inturn maybe able to make a " special case for you" especially as you are getting older.....try this see how you go....Best wishes Allan

I hear you, I met my partner somewhere abroad and we made a beautiful child who is Australian, I left my life and my job where I used to earn more than 100k tax free money dollars to be here with my family and still unemployed, lately we are not on good terms and every time we argue she threaten to take my child and cancel my visa. I feel like a slave man. I am sorry for you and myself and whoever like in our state. And I know your situation is even harder being lived all this time and had a life and have Oz siblings. I hope you will find a way out. Peace man.

Should have read compassionate grounds see your local mp

Hi NikNik, sorry this has taken so long to post there are a few things one has to organise when this happens. My visa states that it exists solely for the purpose of working for one specific company, and for a very specific period. If, however, I were to leave the employ of the company I would have 90 days to secure another job with a company willing to nominate me as being more suited to their position than any Australian, and that the position has been advertised to the available base of Australians for a long period for which they haven't found a suitable applicant. Compare this with the fact that I lost my job because I wrote a mail saying that there are times when I just can't cope with the stress, and that this year is one of them. Like many others, I have a switch in my brain that let's me set up the best LinkedIn page, and then shoot myself in the foot by getting intense in a mail.

All that said, I'm finding my once quick brain is struggling. I'm good at what I do I'm just over the desire to seek out stressful positions, and any position willing to sponsor a 457 is going to be stressful. I went to an interview a week or two back, and I felt really good about it. I got feedback that they really liked me but...the visa.

So-, instead of setting myself up for failure, given that having to lie in an interview about how I'll be able to handle any stress any time for however long, I'm going to use the 90 days to ride m-y motorbike from Noosa to Perth via Darwin. I leave on Tuesday.

Hi AllanBP2

I've approach Mal Brough, MP, and his staff have queried DIAC to be told it is what it is. I've contacted Michaela Cash, Asst Minister for Immigration, directly, and received mail in return telling me that reforms are underway regarding the 457 visa process but that these do not include the age threshold. I have a hundred Australians who would sign a petition to say I'm a good law abiding worthy member of their community, but thus far that doesn't count for much. 

The only way I could stay is to marry an Australian. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to find an Australian, as if these were commodities one found. I'm bipo. Bright enough to hold down a profession post, but unable to handle the stress. Not ill enough to require care, but not well enough to manage alone. 

Oh man that sounds hard.. I understand the slave part. So much of Australia runs on slaves - so many hope and dreams about coming here, then being held for fear of losing that visa. It was a weight off my shoulders when I decided that I won't fight for another visa
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance