Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jen12
Contributor

Do they ever recover ?

Hi I have asked this before but still wonder if diagnosed with schizo do they get better ? And function normally or is it just up and down even when on meds
Sister started acting weirdly again
Claims gp is managing it all and to butt out
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Do they ever recover ?

Hi @Jen12

Sorry to hear your sister isn't travelling well. When you talk about the diagnosis of 'schizo' do you mean schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder or something else. Just want to clarify to assist others in responding.

Nik

Sorry typing on phone
Schizophrenia was one diagnosis
Mental health team discharged her to GP about a year ago
Not sure she still takes meds
When's he was taken to psch unit GP did agree with her going there and thought there was nothing wrong with her
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey Jen12

My understanding is that a patient can achieve remission from their symptoms but there is no cure. Some patients have a lot more psychotic episodes than others, some understand they have a mental health issue, others, as a symptom of the disorder, do not see they have a problem (this is called lack of insight).

"Recovery" in mental health terms is probably best likened to that of diabetes, where you control the disorder more than it controls you.

It can be very distressing when someone we love is affected by a major psychiatric disorder and it is important to get some support for yourself and the family (in particular for the primary carer). Groups such as Carers Australia or Wellways offer free carer support which can be invaluable and I would encourage you to get assistance from them.

Darcy

Thanks Darcy, that makes sense

trying to have normal converstations and disagreements makes me see I have to step back prevent the reoccurances or flare up of symptoms as there is a total lack of insight - frustrating

tricky too as I want to tell the GP that all isn't as it seems - but she tells everyone I am threatening her and keeps records of all emails, phone converstations - on the advice of new friends who don't know of her past history - and seems to make her more aggressive and paranoid

Thanks for the advice on Carers Australia too

Former-Member
Not applicable

hello @Jen12

It is a very difficult position to be in.

schizophrenia is such a horrible illness.

horrible for those who have it as they can be unaware and horrible for their loved ones who sometimes dont recognise this person.

a feeling of having to tread on eggshells, hanging on their every word to give clues on how to respond.

i watched a link that Darcy had posted on another thread re how their delusions, paranoia are very real to them they do not see them as that. they do not think  they are ill. therefore why should they take medication.

that all makes sense.

then how to listen reflectively, empathise, agree and partner - LEAP principal.

sounded very logical but somehow would be very difficult to suddenly introduce when this family member is already distrusting everyone, on the alert. especially when only contact is via phone when he rings. i do not know where he lives now or his phone no he has changed it.

I hope you have improvement with your sister. dont give up on her, remember to her she is frightened because her fears are so real to her.

hi @Jen12 i have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. we never recover from our illness but can be stabilised. which i have been for 3 years now..your sister should be able to function normally on meds, if we stop taking them all together we lose it and then need to be readmitted and but sometimes we can be given the wrong meds this has happened to me three times. Been hospitalized three times in my 20's i am now 31. seems to me your sister may not know what is happening but all you can do is be there for her when she needs you. which can be hard because she wants you to butt out and i did this to my partner when i was in hospital last try to dump him but we are still together thank goodness. he just stayed by my side through it all. seen four physiatrists in 5 years!

i still have my ups and downs like the other day i needed my injection i was so tired from only sleeping two hours on Sunday night as my brothers voice was talking to me (i get family members voices that is just part of my illness). Rang mum she kindly drove me there and her partner drove me home. just didn't drive that because of it. dizzy after my injection so i hope this example helps.

my voices relapse day to day. I can lose touch reality. if iam ill. this is this when we got into a stage of denial and think everything is fine when it isn't. but i know when i get my voices telling me stuff it isn't real. i hope this helps you.

samt31

Thank you so much @samt31 for generously sharing your experiences. I personally found it very insightful.
Thank you.

Thanks Sam31 

I think that is the hard thing - the dr say she is better , discharged from mental health services but if there are flare ups then that is good to know that is "normal" 

It is good that you know what is happening - that must make it easier for you and your family to know when you are having the flare ups and bad days 

Thank you so much - things are starting to make some sense

Hi @Jen12,

Some people do "recover" in the sense of being symptom free as long as taking an effective treatment (in the same way as Diabetes as someone mentioned).

It would be dishonest though to not mention that in some other people's cases they never recover.

Im not stating this with the intent to induce a feeling of hopelessness,but rather to just be based in reality.

The people with Schizoaffective and Schizophrenia who have symptoms which are more Dementia like (eg:cognitive decline,memory loss,personality changes,loss of social cognition etc) are often less likely to "recover" than people with Paranoid type Schizophrenia.

There are some studies that seem to suggest that Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective may involve Neurodegeneration in a sub-set of patients.

I can link the studies re: all of the above if you would like?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance