Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ballard1891
Contributor

Depression and IBS

I’ve been suffering from depression for many of years. I also suffer from IBS which is really hard to live with and control. My IBS creates the severe depression for me. I can’t believe I’m sharing this on this forum but I need someone to talk to. 
I’ve tried doing a FODMAP diet but that hasn’t helped and I still have symptoms. I’m just depressed in general. Everything I used to love to doing, I just don’t get enjoyment out of anymore. I don’t feel like talking when I’m around people, I am extremely quiet because I am that depressed and I don’t like who I am as a person.

I can’t go out and enjoy myself anymore. Even just going out for dinner in a restaurant is difficult for me. How am I supposed to go on an airplane/plane again when I have IBS. This creates soo much stress and anxiety for me. I can’t go overseas or anywhere because I’m too damn scared about getting symptoms. I hate my life and I wish I didn’t suffer from this. I’m married and I have a very supportive partner but it’s unfair on him that I have to cancel things if we can invited somewhere because I don’t feel like going out because of my depression and IBS 😞 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Living with Severe Depression

Thank you for sharing this @Ballard1891 ,

It must be so hard to battle the symptoms of IBS - it sounds like you never know what is going to happen, so inevitably, you live with anxiety and stress? Am I right in saying that?

You have posted so clearly about how IBS affects mental health. This is something I've never considered until I read your post. Yes, I know it affects one's physical health, but now I see how it can affect one mentally.

I can see how limiting having IBS can be for you. I'm so sorry to hear it pretty much stops you from doing a lot of things in daily life like even eating out. 

What are some things you can name as meaningful activities to help you through this?

I am so glad to have you on the forums. I hope the connection here will somewhat help you feel less alone in this.

Please take care,

tyme

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Ballard1891 

Nice to see you raise a new post.

I hope venting here and looking for life experienced answers gives you some joy or security.

I hope your day goes as well as it can.

Happy to hear what you are doing.

I am on and off the forum during the day

@tyme @Former-Member 

Yes you are right. Having IBS creates a lot of anxiety and stress for me.
The symptoms occur unexpectedly and I’m constantly needing to run to the bathroom. I can’t be around lots of people. If I was somewhere in a crowd full of people I will struggle like hell. 
I can’t be in busy crowded places. 

I can’t think of many activities to help me through this. 

Maybe doing something that’s relaxing such as having a bath or getting a massage will help. 

@Former-Member 

I’m not usually this honest and open and I wouldn’t normally share my life experiences to other people. 
My psychologist got me onto this forum and I thought I’ll give it a go and see what other people are going through aswell. I know I’m not the only one suffering. 

Hi @Ballard1891 

What I like about this forum is we learn from each other

I also like some have lived experiences close to what we have

I did read up on IBS.

Now to me your post is making more sense to me.

To add some humour:

I suppose if you really were on my boat, winding the sail up, (to clear our head of negative thoughts) it would not be a problem because you are surrounded by sea.

So @tyme  had a similar idea and does something I also do.

Be grateful for what we have.

I like your idea. Bath or massage. Great idea. have some good time for you. You are important!

@Former-Member 

Yes that’s definitely true haha 

Being on a boat will be ok. 
Even going on a cruise ship will be something I could do for fun….

But definitely not a plane or a car full of people. That, I will struggle. 

Even though having IBS is no fun, I do need to be grateful of what I do have in life. 

Hi @Ballard1891 

I will make notes

Do not go with @Ballard1891 

To the moon on a space ship

In a little submarine

In a locked car

Ha ha

But you sound a fantastic person.

We all have something we "hide" or is not obvious.

There is always someone better off and always someone worse off.

Cruise ships are fun. In a funny way it may not suit you. Toilets can be full if water rough. That is a joke

@Former-Member 

I don’t think I’m a fantastic person…

The voices inside my head are calling me an a**hole. It’s feels soo real. 
I find it hard to tell what’s real and what’s not real. That is a symptom of psychosis. 

This is another reason I am soo depressed and that’s why I joined the forum because maybe I am an a**hole and I don’t realise it. 

Haha I know you’re having a joke. Maybe no cruise ships for me then. 

Hi @Ballard1891 

There is a saying and was a book "Laughter is the best medicine"

This forum takes me back to the heat of my issue in a good way. To understand and share.

Laughter was the last thing on my mind. Nothing was funny about what was hsppening.

I was such a nervous wreck l dropped my car keys once and "the others" laughed. I was a shaking mess.

So l have joked a bit on the forum. Because now I think "Laughter is the best medinine when we are ready!"

May not be today. But hopefully tomorrow. Sorry.

Jokes aside now!

[Re: 

I don’t think I’m a fantastic person…

The voices inside my head are calling me an a**hole. It’s feels soo real. 
I find it hard to tell what’s real and what’s not real. ]   [x That is a symptom of psychosis.x]

Other than [x  x] I appreciate it is a sympton so l approach this with great care.

Why do you feel (a) not fantastic?

Maybe try the humble approach to be good (most the time) i want to be good.

Please define what you call fantastic.

Not all extroverts are happy inside.

The voices in Your head say you are an a××hole. Why? What do you think you have done to describe yourself as that?

I say, serious sort of me says, it is others jobs to put us down. So why do we want to join them in ridiculous untrue comments about ourselves

Futher to that i had property stolen last wednesday. Neighbour had car and wallet stolen.

So if you are an Axxhole, what are they?

I have seen seen one part of anything you have written yet to agree with you. Sorry. Hard in tough times not to get people to agree with us.

You sound great, unappreciated, responsjble, caring and empathy for others but not for yourself.

A shame. Your choice

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance