Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JennyK
Contributor

Can stress,anxiety & depression cause hair loss

JennyK - My daughter has been loosing her hair, I am very concerned.

Is this something that can happen ?

Thanks

Concerned Mum

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can stress,anxiety & depression cause hair loss

My hair fell out in clumps, unsure whether it was associated stress with depression/anxiety or something to do with my lifestyle diet.

Saw a dietician, had bloods done, deficiencies in iron, D, a few other areas, female GP suggested pill as it grows hair, and a fair bit grew back.

As well, you can get a scalp photo taken at cancer place in cbd, so you can monitor to see whether it's a serious issue or not.

Hello @JennyK,

This is something that definitely happens and can also be very diet related if she is not eating properly due to her anxiety (the stomach is quite often referred to as a second brain) or the right foods which contain vitamins and minerals for strong hair growth.

It might be helpful to take her to see a dietician or nutritionist to help address this or even your local GP. Is she linked in with a good counsellor or psychologist about her anxiety and depression symptoms?

Lunar

Hi @JennyK

Although it is not talked about, many children (and adults) suffer a form of trichomania (hair pulling can be eyelashes, brows, head or body hair) during difficult developmental stages such as starting school or puberty. it is often conceptualised as a form of OCD and linked in with the anxiety disorders so it is definitely important to check in with a psychologist (as recommended) assuming the GP says medically she is all clear. Take care 

Helllo @JennyK

how are you today ??

Can stress,anxiety & depression cause hair loss   -- I know it can have a huge impact on your  Phsyical and emotional wellbeing too

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance