Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

theaveragejoe
Senior Contributor

All seem good from the outside but is it really?

I am afraid to announce that Australia has slipped right behind in terms of provvission of care for people with a mental disorder. We are left behind in all sense not least how we help people with mental disorders. True we are not like some third world countries but we are no way near Canada, Sweden or Norway. Australia is far down the list and this is a fact, a statistical fact. What are we doing wrong? Following the idea that mental disorders are a pure illness without considering social and environmental factors. Current Liberal Government is cutting funds everywhere without even thinking that the cuts are actyually going to cost more money in the long term. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: All seem good from the outside but is it really?

@theaveragejoe. I hear you. I worked in Mental health (admin). Our hospital lost $8million dollars of funding in 2012/2013. The mental health dept always gets funding cuts first. Ended up we could only treat the most severe cases. Those who may have been able to be helped quickly and effectively were not seen - therefore their conditions worsened and wilk now take longer to treat and cost more money.
Government announces extra say $40million in mental health spending. But doesn't tell thepublic that that is after taking aaway $58 million. So we are always down millions every year.
And those who work in mental health and drug and alcohol abd homelessness, keep struggling ti help those they can - with less and less resources. Until they burn out and leave.

Im so tired... so im not sure that this will make any sense.

I think we have so far to go in australia when it comes to stigma and perceptions. particularly in family court and how victims are percieved in the criminal system if theyve had mental illness. the fact that i take medication was used against me when i gave evidence. it was used to deflect responsibility from the person commiting an crime. then his sentence was reduced even when found guilty because i'd already had a mental illness so he therefore may only have aggravated an already present injury/illness so shouldnt be held to full account for the trauma he inflicted. 

lj

@Former-Member. I'm so sorry to hear that was your experience in the courts.
That's how my employer (now ex employer), treated me. Even telling workcover about my previous depression. Yet it shouldn't take away from the fact they didn't protect me from a seriously ill client, even when I asked for help. Workcover are now using my previous depression episode - so that I'm not eligible for compensation. And I know the courts will too
I'm thinking of no longer sueing my old enployer - as I don't think I could win with my previous history. And I'm doing so well mentally bow, that I don't want to hindermy progress by being treated as if it's ny fault for previously being sick.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance