Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

STORMGRL101
Senior Contributor

I am confused.

Hello
I went to my gp to get another mental health plan but now I noticed it under the 2010 severe anxiety / depression, it has 2016 Schizophrenia - predominately negative diagnosed by (psychiatrist).

Would this mean dont have schizophrenia or does it mean I have the negative symptoms just not the positive symptoms? I will ask my other professional next week but just wondering if anyone can help me or has experience with this.
6 REPLIES 6
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I am confused.

Hi @STORMGRL101

Nice to see you 🙂

Sounds a bit confusing.. I would think it refers to the negative symptoms but unsure, i think your best bet is to check with the gp/other professional as you said. Have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia in the past?

you've reminded me i need to go get a new mhp too... but my gp left suddenly late last year and i really don't want to go to someone new and have to tell everything to someone else.

good luck

lj

thanks lisa jane. I hope you can find a nice gp.

I see my psychologist tuesday so will ask then. I was just a bit surprised to see that written down. I told my parents about it but mum doesnt think its right but im not around them all the time and i always put on an act like im fine because i dont like them to worry .
Also currently looking into neurofeedback therapy as i feel like im not getting anywhere.
Also have treatment resistant anxiety which is keeping me down .

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @STORMGRL101

I've read about neurofeedback therapy before I think... it sounded really interesting. Is it where you look at your physical body's responses and learn to recognise what causes changes? Its a bit different but i've been using my fitbit watch to help track my heart rate.. when it goes up (i feel it) i have been doing some breathing exercises and can literally watch it come down from over 100 to at least in the 80s. it makes me feel kind of like im back in control.. although it takes a bit of concentration and not something i can just 'do' while doing other stuff... I've also noticed some patterns now in that my heart rate goes up at certain times before or after different things... though im not sure how to fix that either. 

I have not gotten as far as my psychologist or i have wanted me to either. looking at doing emdr later in the year if i can control the dissociation (which really feels impossible right now).

lj

Hi @STORMGRL101

Lovely to "meet" you.

How did things go with your psychologist? Did you get any clarity?

Take care,

Nik

Hi @NikNik
Yes the psychologist said they dont think I have schizophrenia. Just severe anxiety which also causes depression.
I see my psychiatrist towards the end of the month which i am anxious about because i am feeling rather defeated and am scared she will want to change my medication.

Hi again @STORMGRL101

Do you think you need a change in medication? What do you think would lead her to this opinion?

I hope your psychiatrist is one that will work with you through these things and take on board your opinion and preferences.

I think we all feel a bit deflated / defeated if we feel we're not travelling as well as we want to be.

I hope your finding these forums helpful and know that you're not alone in this.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance