Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tchef
Contributor

Family meant to be there

Hey there <br>I've been diagnosed with bipolar earlier on this year, which really explains a lot all of my life I knew that something wasn't quite right. I am single and I live in a country which I do love being in the country but apart from my two dogs I don't really have anyone to talk to. I use to talk to my brother, my sister and the rest of my don't even pick up the phone and say hi. The other week my car broke down and I had to miss a couple days of work, that put me into a panic attack cos I was worried about losing my job, so I rang my sister just to have a chat, she got pissed at me and she can't deal with this now. I had a fight with my brother, he said that he doesn't believe in what I am dealing with (bipolar). He tells me I should stop the meds and go back to the gym and I'll be fine. Family !!!I've more support from complete strangers than my own family. I know I've got enough on my plate and I should put them aside and concentrate on getting my head better but I can't help it this really messing with my head even more. <br>

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Family meant to be there

Hi Tchef, welcome to the forums. It sounds as if you are a bit isolated living in the country and are not really getting support from your siblings and family. I am sure you will get some replies and support on the forums. Good to have you here.

@Tchef Hi Tchef welcome to the forums! Firstly lucky you living in the country. I would love to do a tree change anyways ... I have bipolar too and my sister and I dont really talk which is upsetting to me.... what can you do. Anyway you will find the members here on the boards to be very friendly with alot in the same situation as ourselves regarding family ... I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.greenpea

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Tchef

I can relate to feeling alone, i've lived in country areas for most of my life, except while i was at uni, though im in a larger regional town now. I can also relate to not having people there for me, i dont have any family, but am a single mama to two kids. I hope your car was fixed up ok and not too expensive! Sounds frustrating that your family isnt understanding or supportive of your needs or difficulties 😞 And that your brother really doesn't understand the coplexities of mental illness... if only 'just' going to the gym would cure all.... 

I hope the forums are a helpful space for you, there are many people here with bipolar, so lots of members will relate to your difficulties in different ways, I'm glad you are here, take care.

Hey @Former-Member
Thank you for support !
To add to it all centre link are helpful at all. Have been a chef for 20+years and use to thrive on being busy but now I can't even think straight, I'm not coping too well, no money which is causing more anxiety stress and panic attacks, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm still holding on to the dream of getting my pizza shop up & running.

Hi @Tchef,

Welcome to Forum Land. I can very much relate to your family issues. I have zero family and it is super hard. Forum Land is my entire social world. 

I'm really glad to hear you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, even though things are difficult right now. I can hear that your family isn't very supportive. Do you have any other people around who provide you with support? Oh and by the way, a pizza shop sounds like a very cool dream! Mmmmm pizza... Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

oh wow! lol silly me didnt connect your user name with being a chef! duh... @Tchef ... I'm very envious of your cooking abilities from afar because im so not a good cook (though noone starves 😄 )
Im usually a work a holic and use work and study to help me focus and cope. But also at times i can get very shut down and just so slow that i cant think properly.
I like your dream! I really hope that it becomes a reality one day for you!

Thank you for your support, it really means a lot. It's hard that what I've done for 20years and now I get anxious just thinking about it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance